What are Satellite Townships?
A satellite town or satellite city is a concept in urban planning that refers essentially to smaller metropolitan areas which are located somewhat near to, but are mostly independent of, larger metropolitan areas.
Development of Satellite Townships
Some towns develop when a town or a city reach a certain limit of congestion and exhaustion. These towns have their own identity but are under the influence and power of the major body i.e. the main town or the city.
In this article, we will discuss some of the most important features of Satellite Townships
- Satellite townships have their own local government and corporate life.
- They have all the necessary amenities and facilities present within their limits except for a few purposes like employment and sometimes education, they have to depend on the main city i.e. the parent city.
- Transportation means such as buses, trains etc all connect the various satellite townships to the main city so that travelling to the main city for work is not an issue. It is free to decide its economic, social and cultural activities.
- Satellite townships generally develop beyond the green belt of the city.
- Like we discussed earlier that people are well equipped with various amenities and facilities but have to depend on the parent city for work or higher education. The reason why people have to depend on the parent city for work is that setting up of industries is prohibited in Satellite townships. It is mainly a residential area having only local shops, schools for children, etc.
- Zoning regulations are not an issue in the development of satellite townships.
- These townships never become a rival to their parent city because their size and development is restricted and controlled.
- Sometimes, satellite townships are considered as a part of the market for some goods and services that are produced in the parent city.
- The workers living in a particular satellite may belong to a labour force of a particular industry and in that case, it will give a wider choice to the employers of such industries for finding the best man for the job.