CII – Confederation of Indian Industry | Green Building in India
CII is internationally renowned building designed using the principles of Green Buildings and is India’s premier developmental institution, offering advisory services to the industry on environmental aspects and working in the areas of Green Buildings, Energy Efficiency, Water Management, Environment Management, Renewable Energy, Green Business Incubation and Climate Change activities.
“Reduce, Reuse and Recycle” is the agenda of Green building Technology.
“… Grover has dispelled any notion that aesthetics must be sacrificed in the effort to make buildings “green.”
The centre, through various exhibits and working models, demonstrates how various green products and environment friendly technologies can be implemented in industry and building applications.
Below mentioned are some of the CII FACTS compared to normal buildings that make the green features of CII stand out.
- 35% reduction in potable water use.
- 50% savings in overall energy consumption.
- 88% reduction in lighting consumption.
- 80% of materials used are either recycled or recyclable.
- 20% of the building’s energy requirement is provided by photovoltaic’s.
- 15-20% less load on AC crediting to aerated concrete blocks used in facades.
- It’s a Zero water discharge building.
- 90% of building daylight.
- 75% of occupants have outside view.
The documented reduction of harmful emissions achieved by the design, sitting, and construction of the building is 62%for carbon monoxide, and 63% for hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides.
A large amount of energy- and pollution- was reduced in the production and transportation of building materials through sourcing them locally.
- The building was designed to have minimum disturbance to the surrounding ecological environment.
- This has preserved the majority of the existing flora and fauna and natural micro – biological organism around the building.
- Extensive erosion and sedimentation control measures to prevent topsoil erosion have all been taken at the site during construction.
- 30% of users exercise alternative modes of transportation: carpools, bicycles, and cars that run on liquefied petroleum gas, a low-polluting alternative to conventional gasoline and diesel .
Green Features incorporated in CII Building Project
- Bio-climatic Architecture
- Minimize damage during construction (cost efficiency)
- Occupancy to the natural elements of water flow, air quality, vegetation, and topography.
- The built form responds to the rocky site.
- The footprint is kept small, and the arrangement of spaces and the varying levels of the plinth were designed to respect the distinctive boulders.
- Fenestration maximized on the north orientation
- South side sun glare cut down using Argon glass
- Rain water harvesting
- Large vegetative open spaces
- Swales for storm water collection
- Shaded car park
- Facility for charging electric automobiles and electric pool car facility for building occupants
- Site location close to bus and rail lines
- Open space in the site exceed the local requirements by more than 25%
- All paved parking & pathways constructed with pervious materials
Application of the above mentioned green features make the building environmentally friendly and sustainable. I will discuss all green feature of CII in detail in my succeeding articles.