Landscape Architecture is an art of shaping the surroundings… The word “Landscape” itself conveys the message. Land – scape, that is shaping and designing a piece of land with various elements of Landscape.
The Evolution of Modern Garden Architecture brought about a revolution in the concept of Landscape Architecture.
Great importance has always been given by our ancestors if we look at our past history. Importance of Landscape Architecture is seen in the design of Modern Gardens that developed in the 18th century after the boom of Industrial Revolution.
Modern Gardens such Chinese Gardens, Italian Gardens, Persian Gardens, French Gardens, Japanese Gardens, Dutch Gardens and the most Legendary one – The English Gardens gave a boost to the art of Landscaping…
In this article, we are going to discuss various elements of Landscape and study “Sculptures and Water Bodies” in Landscape Architecture in detail.
Here are some of the elements of Landscape Design:
- Sculptures and Water Bodies
- Fences, Drainage and Lighting
- Rock Gardens and Street Furniture
Sculptures and Water Bodies
The combination of Sculptures and Water Bodies has always been considered unique since the Roman Times….
Use of “Sculptures” in the Landscape Design
- Sculptures sometimes act as focal points in courtyards or plaza areas. They maybe created from natural or artificial materials at a great variety of forms, colours and textures are possible.
- Stone and wood are some natural elements which may be employed to make sculptures.
- Placement of a sculpture within a space depends upon sunlight and shadow patterns, which project the object in various ways during different times of the day.
- Night lights can also be adjusted to highlight the interesting aspects of the sculptures from various angles.
- The sculpture should be so located to take advantage of varying sight lines.
Use of “Water Bodies” in Landscape Design
- This is the most interesting object in landscape design.
- Water, which is a natural element, can be a prominent feature in the landscape.
- It may be used in the form of fountains or pools for its reflective qualities, differences in sound or cooling effect.
- Programming the flow of water in fountains is done by an electronic timing system which may also control the night light sequence.
- The water flow and lighting must be coordinated to achieve maximum effect.
- Sculptural elements of granite or concrete can be integrated in a water cascade or fountain effect.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.