If we design a building that is aesthetically appealing and also decorate it beautifully from inside, yet if its surrounding outside area is unclean and disorganized, then the impact of the pleasing appearance of the building will considerably reduce. A beautifully designed building should also have a beautiful, pleasant and lively surroundings…
This art of decorating and designing the surroundings with various different natural and artificial elements is called Landscape Architecture.
As mentioned in the previous article,
Landscaping is an art of planning the drives, walks, lawns, shrubs, gardens, flower-beds etc. so as to form a beautiful setting for a building. The main purpose of landscaping is to create a joyful environment round the building and give the occupants a healthy breath, good appearance and natural beauty.
Landscape Design is a vast field. It is not just limited to planting but it has various other elements that are important for the design of a beautiful landscape.
Importance of Landscape Architecture in design is very huge. Without the art of Landscaping, the surroundings will remain dull and boring…!
Here are some of the elements of Landscape Design:
- Sculptures and Water Bodies
- Fences, Drainage and Lighting
- Rock Gardens and Street Furniture
These Landscape elements were derived from the “Modern Garden Architecture“.
Planting is the major and the most important element of Landscape Design… The plants cover 80% of the ground to be landscaped….
They can be either plants, trees, shrubs, bushes or groundcover.
In this article, we will also discuss planting in plant containers and importance of groundcover…
- Part of a landscape could be designed by studying the existing varieties of trees, shrubs, flowers.
- Plant material is an important design element. It can articulate space, provide privacy or act as a focal point.
- It can also provide shade or act as a wind break, surfacing material or filter.
- It may enframe a view. It gives rise to shadow patterns which add interest during daylight hours.
- These are tree planters or pots. Tree planters must be of appropriate size to enable trees to grow above structures such as Parking Garages.
- Trees and plants grow much better when they are planted directly in the ground.
- Pots are small plant containers which are versatile or maybe moved or arranged for displays. Concrete is most commonly used for plant containers.
- These could be in the form of concrete rings, which are precast or made in-situ.
- This is the landscape element that flows through the entire design and ties everything together.
- Grass is the best example of groundcover. It can be easily cut or maintained.
- Groundcover adds to total appearance of the landscape.
English Gardens is the master of Landscaped Garden Architecture…. All the above mentioned elements of Design have been beautifully used in the design of English Gardens! English Gardening Style is considered as the “Legendary Gardening Style”.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.