Posts Tagged Perception of Space
Understanding Architectural Transformations
The aim of the project is to involve the students in a pre-design exercise in leading the student from a simple shape to a complex design.
Each shape should involve – Repetition, Size
- A full size tracing sheet divided by 4”x4” squares. A comic strip format.
- Use of a soft pencil – 0.5mm – 2B
- 6”x6” ordinary tracing sheet for over lays.
- Take the most complex design in the last box, enlarge and use values and color. (Color pencils/ Water colors on hand made paper)
Conceptual Space | Perception of Space
The design of space is first a mental concept and any resultant response is primarily experienced through visual perception.
A form oriented approach in which space can be literally ignored – or a waste product after design is still prevalent in architectural circles.
From a form dominated perception to a renewed awareness of space as dynamic – vase/ faces experiment tangible substance.
The spaces between buildings is as important as the spaces which contain them.
Spatial Diagramming (Interior Spaces)
To create in a diagram and thinking attitude which has transported your minds eye through an interior space. It sharpens the mind. This is not a figurative drawing but a subjective diagram. The diagram might emerge elliptical due to the eyes perceptual window.
A) Draw lines from a field of vision different points – Select and connect various points in a room.
Perceptual/Psycological Space | Architectural Drawing
Observing the behaviour of occupants of different types of interior space and an introspection of ourselves in relation to each space.
- A comic strip format
- The shape, sound and dynamics of space
Select three different kinds of interior space:
- A small confined space – waiting room
- A large lofty space – mosque/mandir etc
- Public/Private space – a spherical shape
One hour in each space.