Archive for category Thesis Project
Step-wise procedure for conducting a research on Furniture Design
In this article, we will discuss the steps for carrying out a research on the proposed topic. This research will help us evaluate if the concept of recycled furniture is workable and whether it could be profitable as compared to the New modern furniture made from new materials.
Study the process of making recycled furniture. This would include studying the materials for the furniture, the factories, the energy resources required for the manufacture, amount of skilled and unskilled labour and finally the costs.
Where have they been used? Study the successful examples of the use of recycled furniture in various countries and analyse the reasons behind their success.
It is also important to consider the negative aspects of the same. It is important to know why people wouldn’t want to prefer recycled furniture and that should be very clear.
Remember for any venture to become a success, it has to be profitable. If it is not, then nobody will care to pay attention towards it. This applies for both the consumer as well as the manufacturer.
Analysis of the profit and loss for a company manufacturing recycled materials for the furniture has to be done, like EMFURN does. It is important to know whether these run in loss or in profit which will give you an idea of the interest that people show towards using recycled furniture.
Stages of Design to be followed in Architectural Thesis Project
In our earlier Thesis articles series, we discussed the following:
- Introduction to Thesis Project
- Guidelines for the assessment of the Final Project
- Thesis topic selection
- Selection and analysis of the site
In this article, we will discuss various stages which you have to follow while carrying out your Architectural Thesis Project.
1. Key plan (Conceptual Master plan)
Preparation of a Master plan for your project is the first and foremost stage of design. Allocation of different structures, open spaces, road network has to be carefully done when designing the masterplan. It should comply with all the rules and regulations of the area.
2. Comprehensive Layout plan
3. Discussions and Delegations to be carried out including internal faculty, visiting faculty, professional architects, urban designers etc.
Landscape can be divided into two parts:
- Hard Landscape (street furniture design such as benches, railings, lampposts etc)
- Soft Landscape (Plants, Shrubs and trees)
A proper and efficient design of landscape also plays an important part in the justification of your design. The selection of trees to be used for your design has to be carefully done. Emphasis on the use of trees, plants and shrubs available locally.
Placement of plants, shrubs and trees in a pattern that would suit your design and the surroundings. This would increase the aesthetic appeal of the place.
5. Streetlighting (internal and external)
6. Connectivity to the city
Justify proper connectivity of your project site to the city. It is one of the important factors to be paid attention to while selecting the site and then designing.
a. Proximity to the Airport (important in this case)
b. Proximity to the Transportation Facilities
- i. Roadways
- ii. MMTS
- iii. MRTS
- iv. Highways
Casestudy, Analysis and Design Guide | Design Process of Major Bus Terminal for a Large City
Data Collection and Analysis
The site: Study and Analysis
- Map of the City showing all the Transportation routes and networks
- A Land survey of the exact boundaries
- A topographical Map of the site
- A Survey Map of all the Physical Elements on site such as Trees, Rocks, Peaks and Valleys, Water, Drainage, Electricity, High tension lines, low tension lines etc.
- A Visual survey of the Surrounding Areas
Building and Infrastructure – Study and Analysis
- Surveys of the existing transportation Department
- Size and Population of the City – A map
- Size and capacity of the existing terminal
- Maps showing existing traffic volumes and Travel Pattern
- In state, Out of State, Types and categories of Buses etc.
- Provision of Local Services
- Support facilities, Workshops, Sheds, Service