7 Reasons Why You Should Study Architecture

Architecture is the art and science of designing buildings and other physical structures.

Architecture is about the making of places where people spend their lives. Architects are not just concerned with the exterior and interior design of a building, but the environment as a whole. Architecture is mostly about human beings living in a “better” way then before. Social sciences and psychology is as important as nanotechnology and sustainable materials…

Study Architecture

There is an important questions that needs to be asked. Why study Architecture in the first place? What are the merits of choosing Architecture as a career over other professions? And what could be the compromises and trade-offs an Architecture student might have to make to achieve success?

Here are the 7 reasons that could convince anyone to take up Architecture as a profession…

1. An Architect is a sort of an inventor. Like an inventor who goes about making and designing new gadgets, you go around designing new buildings. Architecture is a very satisfying profession You’ll get a tremendous sense of delight after your concepts on paper transform into real buildings. You’ll know the joy of creation in this field of Architecture…

2. A course in Architecture is a lot of fun. Unlike traditional colleges where you must slog yourself in study halls and libraries, reading and writing all the time, a course in Architecture gives you the liberty to use the right side of your brain, the creative part. You get a lot of opportunities to showcase your creativity and ingenuity while designing structures.

3. Architecture is a very high paying field. Once you get through the course and pass out with good grades, you’d be pursued by large firms looking for fresh talent and new ideas. And compared to most other fields, Architects make a lot more money. With a wage like that it is easy to acquire a full coverage from i4mt for your car.

4. It is easy to define Architecture but the word has far deeper meaning than it implies. While you study Architecture, you get to study various fields of human endeavor, including Art, History, Material Science, Physics, Engineering… anything and everything that can help improve the living environment of human beings. It is the most diverse subject you can find. And yet, this field attracts the most creative and romantic minds in the world.

5. The work of an Architect one of the most challenging and enjoyable imaginable. Every building is different. Every project is different. There is absolutely no monotony in life. The thrill and the challenge of work is exhilarating to say the least.

6. If you’re the kind of guy (or gal) who likes to work with his (or her) hands, then Architecture is the right profession for you.  In Architecture study course, you get to work with your hands. Its not just about reading and writing all the time, but you must have a hands-on approach on many assignments. Building scale models, making surveys, talking to people… its a very active field.

7. Architecture may sound like a 9 to 5 office job, but its not. Its a lot more than that. Even as a student of Architecture, you get to work on real-life problems of designing functional buildings. If you like to hit the road every now and then, you’re in for some luck. In this profession, you get to travel a lot. You have to put your feet on the ground, and visit construction sites.

Counter-Argument

Times Online in UK has published a very thought-provoking and interesting article about the perils of choosing Architecture. It is titled Who would want to be an architecture student? A very interesting read indeed.

In that article, Tom Dyckhoff has laid down in detail the problems faced by architecture students after they graduate. Architecture is a high profile field. We see the symbols of architecture everywhere around us. It is a “cool” career choice. But there isn’t enough demand for Architects. Due to the current housing recession, salaries have dropped, and they are considerably lower than those in the Medical or Dental fields.

It is true that architecture students work very hard to get that “edge” over others. They work day and night, often with little sleep, just so they can design the best project portfolio. But it doesn’t really pay off. Life of an architecture student is hard.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1. #1 by Amit kumar baitha on June 28, 2012 - 11:50 pm

what’s d scope of doing b-arch from NIT in india? Is it better than a B.E.in civil? How to know whether one is suited for pursuing barch??

2. #2 by patricia on June 29, 2012 - 6:37 pm

hello!i have a bachelor degree from a technological university in Greece(aspete.gr) as a professor of electrical engineering in technical colleges and i would like to know if i can do a master in architecture.I am 25 years and i love architecture like crazy!The problem for a bachelor is that i am already old for a five years program and i can’t afford the tuition and fees.

3. #3 by ADI on July 7, 2012 - 11:36 pm

hey hi,iam a b.arch graduate (fresher)I would like to pursue a masters degree in disaster management or climatechange,or a sustainable dev. but not an m.arch.as i am looking forward to secure a job than getting into practice.can you please help me whether the kinda shift i am planning for is worth and can a architect have any relation with it.and can can u suggest me some good universities.it will be really great of u to through some light over these issues.

4. #4 by mohit jangid on July 8, 2012 - 3:44 am

mohit jangid :
    i want to become an architect but my dad wants an IT engineer i promised my dad that i will do good in b.arch exam but i cant so my dad is thinking that tat i cant do anything in this field and cant earn good money from this course so tell me what to do……………………
    but can i do architecture from aayojan school of architecture,jaipur,raasthan

5. #5 by Fanny on July 17, 2012 - 11:21 am

Hi.I love architecture field soo much.i’ve been planning on doing it from malaysia.but everyone seems to disagree.So is it good for me if I do it from there?

6. #6 by Pooja on July 21, 2012 - 3:26 am

Hello.
    Im a 12th year science student who is truly smitten by the charms of architecture and design. I already have basic knowledge on how to design structures and floor plans. And. My love for art and drawing is immense. And sketching and creativity is what im good at since childhood. But at as im a science student im asked to take up engg just because it has a good pay. So I wanted to know if I could make it big and earn equally well if I take architecture as my profession. Please do tell me the pros and cons of the job opportunities of this field.

Waiting for a genuine reply to my queries,
    Pooja. 🙂

7. #7 by kashmira on July 25, 2012 - 8:37 am

i got 95 in NATA….just 1 month b4 the exam i decided to take up architecture….i had previously got into NID..but later in the second round of NID(national institute of design)i got eliminated…but architecture is more technical stuff compared to design..so i like architecture more…but with such a low score do u think i should take up architecture?

8. #8 by sheri on July 25, 2012 - 10:09 am

hey, im good at drawing,im creative but my maths is around 60% what do i do?
    will i be able to manage architecture as a student? and what sort of mathematics is involved in architecture?
    thankyou

9. #9 by nimol on July 28, 2012 - 2:30 am

Hello,
    To say the truth i’m both interested in architecture as well as interior design but i don’t know which to choose . I’m stuck in between whether to major in architecture or interior design. I saw some in a blog say they could major both, and some say they could major in B. arch then major in M. interior design. Is this possible?

10. #10 by fareha101 on July 29, 2012 - 12:13 am

i had commerce with maths in 12th..and have done my graduation in commerce itself…few months back i developed interest in architecture..would it be possible for me to take up architecture now??

11. #11 by devang on July 30, 2012 - 9:04 am

Iam confused abt archtecture.. actually i dont know which subjects to opt for in 12 fr goin in arc. Wheather i shoulf take pcmb pcb aur pcm… And when is nata exam conducted . And which subjects does it hav and how many marks do i need to qualify…..nd maths a big part of arcitecture bcos im weak in maths….. And finally wich subjcts are thr in architecture ..plz reply soon

12. #12 by isaac on July 31, 2012 - 8:55 am

Im 15 and i have always had great grades thus far (about a 3.9 gpa or better). I really have always wanted to be an architect and design houses. By the time i would graduate would architecture still be a good option for a long term career? If so what classes should i continue to take in high school?

13. #13 by sezz on August 12, 2012 - 7:41 am

I’m in such a dilemma because I’m going into my second year of college in september and I’m currently studying btec science and I’ve been thinking and now I want to study architecture at university.. The university I want to go to acceptt my btec science but obviously will ask for a portfolio of art work that is why I’m thinking of studying AS art & design along with carrying on my btec science work.. I did do gcse textiles and achieved a grade A so I do have some skills.. Someone is saying its impossible for me to study an art based subject which has put me down but hope it is possible for me to do it.. I just need some advice please? Thank you!

• #14 by BenzuJK on August 26, 2012 - 1:57 am

Hello Sezz,

Why would you want to join Architecture unless you have an extreme passion towards the subject?
      If you join University, you will have to begin with a foundation course in Architecture. GCSE textiles is far different from what is required in Architecture. But ofcourse if you are a creative person and are passionate about design, you will be able to achieve your aim in the field of construction too.

Wish you all the best of luck for your future!

Cheers 🙂

14. #15 by Marc on August 13, 2012 - 9:22 am

Hi!!!!
    I just wondering if architecture is really in demand in such countries like the US, UK, UAE, etc. My primary goal is to become an architect in the US. But unfortunately, I will be studying here in the Philippines and I’m a little bit worried about the competition between the top universities and those small institutions that offers Bs. in Architecture. Obviously, I have the burning passion and the creativity which makes me ideal to pursue architecture as a career. Will I ever reach that goal or choose another career?

15. #16 by Jazzy on August 18, 2012 - 6:27 pm

Hi. 🙂
    I’m a senior in highschool and I’m thinking about studing Architecture. I’d like to know how many branches are there in Architecture.

16. #17 by prithivya on August 21, 2012 - 4:40 am

HELLO

i am prthivya…what are the main subjects to be taken to become an archietect

• #18 by BenzuJK on August 26, 2012 - 1:46 am

Hello Prithvi,
      Mathematical subjects, drawing (designing) and Theoretical subjects…

Cheers 🙂

17. #19 by sana on August 21, 2012 - 2:14 pm

i dont have math or physic in my alevel can i take architecture

• #20 by BenzuJK on August 26, 2012 - 1:44 am

Hello Sana,
      What subjects did you have then? Are you from the commerce field?

18. #21 by manas on August 23, 2012 - 8:11 am

hii,
    i am interested in b-arch now i am in 12th std now which type of pre-Preparation i have to do for entrance exam and which is better choice NATA or AR-CET my drawing is good but maths is quit week so plz tell me which type of mathematics is required for architecture i got 50 to 60 from 100 plz inform me thanks

• #22 by BenzuJK on August 26, 2012 - 1:43 am

Hello Manas,
      Mathematics is essential in Architecture. Architecture is a combination of technical engineering subjects, theortical subjects as well as design subjects. You have to be good at Maths, drawing and have a good grasping capacity. You have around 14 subjects per year.

NATA would be a good choice since it is applicable all over India. Some Universities and colleges have their own exams plus you are required to give NATA in order to qualify with Council of Architecture.

Cheers 🙂

19. #23 by Jinesh Rj on August 26, 2012 - 12:26 am

Hello Benju di,
    Currently m doin my 12th! n also i hav given my NATA exam!
    Result still to b announced!
    buh m in a dilemma to chose over B.arch or M.arch!
    Plz suggest me wat shuld i opt for.. m thinkin to go for B.arch n den a JOB! is it okay? or shuld i continue even M.arch?!
    Thank u! 🙂

• #24 by BenzuJK on August 26, 2012 - 1:39 am

Hello Jinesh,
      It is always good to do a job and then opt for Masters. Doing a job gives you lot of exposure to the technicalities involved in design. Practical experience of designing and then executing the same on site is very important.
      You would have a variety of options while considering M.arch. So, you should very well be aware of which specific subject in Architecture would you want to specialize in and this is only possible after having gained practical experience. Lot of different fields have emerged in Architecture and by the time you finish your bachelor’s degree, there will be many more.

You could also pursue your masters without working in a firm for a year but you will lack practical approach towards design when you would be designing your master’s thesis project.

I hope this may have answered your question.
      All the best for your future!

Cheers 🙂

20. #25 by sonia on August 29, 2012 - 6:18 am

i am sonia…. from India , studing in one of the architecture college in Mumbai… since grade 7 i have decided to take up architecture though i have never strive toward it…
    due to some personal reason i couldn’t give my architecture entrance exam.. and ended up taking engineering as i was science student.. in that one year of engineering.. i kept thinking that this is not meant for me.. i always wanted to take up arch as my career.. and in mid way i left my course..
    i did preparation for my arch entrance again.. i landed up getting addmison in mumbai.. i wast sincere in my first year of b.arch and so i got kt in humanities.. now when i am in second year.. i am still not being serious in it.. even after faceing so much of obstacle.. i dont find any reason why i am behaving so… this was the only course i use to dream about and when i am into it why i am not taking it seriously…? i am good in maths… and i do get compliment in my design creativity… infact in 1st year my model was the 1st in class to be approved.. but i think i am poor in sketching..
    and even i have heard negative comments about me in graphic and building construction.. i face problem in perspective drawing, elevation, section and drafting of building construction like single double timber floor… so i think i got demotivated

Is sketching so important to be a good architect??? which books i can refer for learning plan elevation and section.. ???? and how should i improve my graphics??? my 3d vision..
    and maa’m do you think if i study hard i can be a good architect ???

hope to hear from you soon… thank you,

21. #26 by sezz on August 31, 2012 - 5:07 am

Yes that is why I’m studying AS art & design this year, how many years would it take including a foundation year? Thanks for your advice!

22. #27 by Nasreen on September 6, 2012 - 10:43 am

Hello,
    My daughter has just completed her O levels and started her A levels. She wants to study Architecture in the future and is in a dilemma about what subjects to opt for before her study for Architecture. She has taken up Maths, Physics, Chemistry and still in the phase of deciding for a fourth subject. Which sub she should opt for, economics, sociology or Art and design. Art and design is not offered by her college. Can you just suggest what should she do? Please respond ASAP.
    Thanks.
    Nasreen

23. #28 by Lidz on September 8, 2012 - 12:15 am

Hi,

It was at the end of high school that I started thinking about studying Architecture after having really good grades on my Architectural drawing courses. In collage I didn’t pass the simple entrance test that the collage gave for Architecture and I was pushed in to my second choice which I thought was close to Architecture and that was Construction Management and Technology and unfortunately that was not at all the same as Architecture even if we did some drawing courses. Mainly it was management and technology.

After that I changed my field to Software Engineering and still didn’t find happiness or satisfaction in it so I totally stopped it after studying for a year. It has been 7 years since I finished high school and I am facing all this and deep in my heart I still feel like Architecture is what I should study.

I have always been good in drawing and I believe that I am creative too, even if I haven’t got the chance to show my creative side in any situation.

Now I am living in Europe where the main language isn’t English and I am passing through a process of first learning the language to study my dream field Architecture.

My question is, Is it worth it fighting for studying Architecture this long ?? Will I be successful or will it be a waste of time and energy again if I try to study Architecture with the language I have learned in less than 2 years. Last but not least, how is the work condition, is it promising because after all I need to at least get what i worked hard for and feel safe.

Oh gash I am so sorry it became so long but you have no idea how it would help me to get an advice on this.

Thank you very much indeed !!

24. #29 by mecina on September 10, 2012 - 1:15 pm

I am a first year student in architecture from Algeria, I want to study in the UK and want to know how and how much does it cost to study in the UK and my e-mail is : domino1202 @ hotmail. fr

25. #30 by Arcy on September 14, 2012 - 5:05 am

Hello! My name is Arcy, and I currently live in India. I have been interested in Architecture and Interior Designing ever since I was in 2nd grade and still do! Math, Arts (mostly best at sketching), and Sciences (especially Physics and Chemistry) are my best subjects, and I plan to become an architect in a few years (currently in 11th grade) but lately I’ve been doing some research and I started to get confused on some topics. I hope that you can answer some of questions! = D

1) Is it possible for a person to take a bachelor’s degree in architecture and have master’s degree in interior designing and have a job that includes both occupations? I would love to become an architect, but I also want to become an interior designer as well, so I was wondering if that’s actually a smart route to take. I’m completely passionate about both studies, so I would really love it if it was possible to become both an architect and an interior designer!

2) What’s the difference between an architect and an interior architect?

3) What’s the difference between an interior architect and an interior designer?

4) I have read somewhere that an architect can become an interior designer, but an interior designer cannot be an architect. Is this true?

Just wanted to say I love your article and I’m super excited for your to-be published book! Thank you very much for reading this! = D

26. #31 by Harsh on September 22, 2012 - 4:33 am

Currently I’m in 12th in Commerce Field.. and i want to do Architecture… and i have English and Mathematics both subjects… is it possible to do from commerce stream? and what are the subjects for NATA examination?? please suggest.. thank you 😀

27. #32 by Sahithya on September 26, 2012 - 6:55 am

Hello,
    I’m currently an engineering student and I am planning to drop and do architecture. Im in my 2nd year now and i’d be losing 2 years to do my nata, but im really interested in it. But i have some doubts about the jobs and stuff. I have been offered another course in my college by my principle and i am in a dilemma as to whether to drop and pursue architecture or stick with engineering. My main concern is the future jobs! Please help!

28. #33 by rafizah on September 30, 2012 - 7:56 pm

Hi,
    My son is very interested in persuing architecture for his future career. He is 16 yrs old and this year sitting for GEC O level. He is excellent in maths and physics. He is learning scetch-up in his own time and preparing art folio.

Is there any foundation programme for BA. architecture, where and how much is the course fee? what is the enterence requrement? what subjects he need to take for A level inorder for him to persue BA Architecture?

29. #34 by romina guy on September 30, 2012 - 11:14 pm

Hi Benzu,

i’m an army active duty soldier and i don;t really have that option to go to school so all i can do right now is take online school and i know architecture is more on hands on training i just wanna know where i should start first like for instance take some major subject first but i dont know where or how to start. i really wanted to be an architect. Hope you could help me. Thanks

• #35 by BenzuJK on November 17, 2012 - 9:47 am

Hello,
      You will have to begin with taking up Math and Physics at your A levels, then join a University with professional accreditation. Only then will you be able to become a qualified Architect.

30. #36 by sheena bhatia on October 15, 2012 - 10:19 am

hello bezul di..:)

actly m doin 12th n i m in non med stream..
    i hv read alot tht
    for d study of an arch
    we must do art
    is it really necesry ..
    plzz tell i m really confused bcz of al dese..
    i m realy interestd in ths field n i lov mathematics
    nd aftr architure n i wl b havin nly 1 choice tht i shud do smthn in maths.. eithr i wil choos lecturer line or smthn in mths..
    but i m really vry much interestd for architecture..
    plzz help me out

• #37 by BenzuJK on November 17, 2012 - 9:37 am

Hello Sheena,

If you want to pursue architecture, you need to have Math as your main subject in 12th and preferably you should be from the science stream or atleast from the commerce field.

Cheers 🙂