7 Reasons Why You Should Study Architecture

Architecture is the art and science of designing buildings and other physical structures.

Architecture is about the making of places where people spend their lives. Architects are not just concerned with the exterior and interior design of a building, but the environment as a whole. Architecture is mostly about human beings living in a “better” way then before. Social sciences and psychology is as important as nanotechnology and sustainable materials…

Study Architecture

There is an important questions that needs to be asked. Why study Architecture in the first place? What are the merits of choosing Architecture as a career over other professions? And what could be the compromises and trade-offs an Architecture student might have to make to achieve success?

Here are the 7 reasons that could convince anyone to take up Architecture as a profession…

1. An Architect is a sort of an inventor. Like an inventor who goes about making and designing new gadgets, you go around designing new buildings. Architecture is a very satisfying profession You’ll get a tremendous sense of delight after your concepts on paper transform into real buildings. You’ll know the joy of creation in this field of Architecture…

2. A course in Architecture is a lot of fun. Unlike traditional colleges where you must slog yourself in study halls and libraries, reading and writing all the time, a course in Architecture gives you the liberty to use the right side of your brain, the creative part. You get a lot of opportunities to showcase your creativity and ingenuity while designing structures.

3. Architecture is a very high paying field. Once you get through the course and pass out with good grades, you’d be pursued by large firms looking for fresh talent and new ideas. And compared to most other fields, Architects make a lot more money. With a wage like that it is easy to acquire a full coverage from i4mt for your car.

4. It is easy to define Architecture but the word has far deeper meaning than it implies. While you study Architecture, you get to study various fields of human endeavor, including Art, History, Material Science, Physics, Engineering… anything and everything that can help improve the living environment of human beings. It is the most diverse subject you can find. And yet, this field attracts the most creative and romantic minds in the world.

5. The work of an Architect one of the most challenging and enjoyable imaginable. Every building is different. Every project is different. There is absolutely no monotony in life. The thrill and the challenge of work is exhilarating to say the least.

6. If you’re the kind of guy (or gal) who likes to work with his (or her) hands, then Architecture is the right profession for you.  In Architecture study course, you get to work with your hands. Its not just about reading and writing all the time, but you must have a hands-on approach on many assignments. Building scale models, making surveys, talking to people… its a very active field.

7. Architecture may sound like a 9 to 5 office job, but its not. Its a lot more than that. Even as a student of Architecture, you get to work on real-life problems of designing functional buildings. If you like to hit the road every now and then, you’re in for some luck. In this profession, you get to travel a lot. You have to put your feet on the ground, and visit construction sites.

Counter-Argument

Times Online in UK has published a very thought-provoking and interesting article about the perils of choosing Architecture. It is titled Who would want to be an architecture student? A very interesting read indeed.

In that article, Tom Dyckhoff has laid down in detail the problems faced by architecture students after they graduate. Architecture is a high profile field. We see the symbols of architecture everywhere around us. It is a “cool” career choice. But there isn’t enough demand for Architects. Due to the current housing recession, salaries have dropped, and they are considerably lower than those in the Medical or Dental fields.

It is true that architecture students work very hard to get that “edge” over others. They work day and night, often with little sleep, just so they can design the best project portfolio. But it doesn’t really pay off. Life of an architecture student is hard.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1. #1 by syaff on May 22, 2012 - 2:44 am

helloo;)! im in architecture tooo!i’m 20 , and 4th sem of my bsc.previously when im in the middle of the road to choose my future path, i’ve got confused too.either pursuing science -related or architecture since im more into memorizing things compared to calculations.but drawing is my all time favourite!i aint thatt good in maths err physics too.honestly i disliked em both-.- but i think it’s not the main point .maybe its a lil bit hard and extra catch ups has to be done compared to other mates that fancy maths as i have to bear with it in structural mechanics .however it’s still fun except for the pressure meeting submission deadlines and the fact that money’s running out like tapwater to buy all the modelling and architectural stuffs tht’s priceyyy and yeahhh the ouchhh critics from the panels-.-‘ anywayy ,it’s good to be in this line.for newcomers, do a serious wise -thinking before stepping in, opt for the choice tht really is your passion andd dont be afraid to make the decision:)! not everyone’s born with ultimate talent or good in artt /architecture and stuffs, but it can be grown and blossomed with times.i myself still not fully mastered the art of doing straight lines and am still learning:)!

2. #2 by yash on May 22, 2012 - 11:32 pm

hi Benzulk
    i have read all posts and found them intersting. my ouestion is i m 12th scince student and i m insterested in arch. after 6 months i m expecting my imigration call from u.s.a. so what can i do should i complete my arch here in india or persue for u.s.a?and take admision there?which is better choice for study?In u.s.a i m going to stay in illinoise. i m trying hard to get admision in c.e.p,t ahmedabad.

3. #3 by EMMANUEL HLONGWANE on May 23, 2012 - 4:45 am

HI .IM CONSIDERING DOING A COURSE IN ARCHITECTURE.THNG IS I AM A CREATING PERSON AND I LOVE DOING THNGS WITH MY HANDS SO WITH BOTH OF THAT I THOUGH WHY NOT PERSUE A CAREER IN THE TYPE OF FIELD I LOVE .AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING OR CONSIDERING THE RIGHT OPTION

• #4 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 5:02 am

Hello Emmanuel,
      Instead of considering Architecture as the only career option, why don’t you consider taking up FINE ARTS…? That’s a great option for creative people if you are to avoid learning heavy Math at University.

Tc.
      🙂

4. #5 by umesh on May 25, 2012 - 12:17 pm

i have a big confusion.taking science or commerce.
    interests – working in computer field
    weakness- my maths is not good
    **********help me out*************************

• #6 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 4:59 am

Hello Umesh,

Computer’s field involves heavy Mathematics. If you are weak at Math, don’t consider joining COmputer engineering.
      A lighter option to Computer/software engineering is BCA (Bachelors in Computer Applications). Give it a thought.

5. #7 by aman on May 25, 2012 - 11:29 pm

I am gud in drawing and i m also creative man i do drawing from my school day and i like it very much and i hve done cources like elementry and all…
    I hve just given my 12th exam bt i cant cleared it
    Can i do architecture or interior disigning

• #8 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 4:38 am

Hello Aman,
      Architecture is a very creative field. It involves lot of drawings and Math. You need to be really good at Math if you want to pass the course of Architecture. I suggest that you should consider going for Interior Design. It is a lighter course plus it does not involve much of Mathematics. You will still be able to explore the creative side of yourself.

All the best! Take decisions wisely.
      Tc 🙂

6. #9 by aditi jain on May 28, 2012 - 6:26 am

hey , only maths, EGgraphics and drawing skills r required for architecture??…….i am good at maths n art bt ppl say dat this field required exceptionally hard work……i am in 12th stndrd nw n wat’s d syllabus fr entrance exm fr b.arch??

• #10 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 4:36 am

Hello Aditi,
      Architecture does require you to be exceptionally hard working and creative at all times. To be able to successfully pass the course of architecture, you need to be hard working, creative and passionate about design. And if you are ready for all this, only then should you be thinking of joining Architecture.

All the best!

7. #11 by aditi jain on May 28, 2012 - 6:34 am

hey i am in 12th stndrd nw n iam interested in doing architecture …….i am good at maths n art……..wat is d syllabus fr entrance exm fr architecture…………n fr 2013 batch der will be common entrance test is b.arch also included in it??……:))

8. #12 by Irene on May 30, 2012 - 7:37 am

hi, im irene. 26 yrs old from malaysia, currently a teacher but will resign soon. i have finished my first degree honour in edu. now i would like to take another first degree in architecture as i interested in it. may i know what’s architectural technology? because the course that i will apply next year is Bachelor of Science in architectural technology. As im reading ur blog here, i feel confused whether this course is suitable for me or not.. i really interested but i am weak in maths, ok in drawing (quite slow) and i didnt take physics during my secondary school. i was from Art stream NOT science stream. as i have financial difficulties, i quite scared i will fail in certain subjects when im taking this course…so am i suit to pursue this arch degree ? or interior arch ? im not interested to be a teacher at all as it was my parents’ wishes… so what can i decide now? since i read a lot about being an arch student is a tough life, i have less confidence with it already..but im really interested it…please help me…asap…because im gambling with my current job now(suffer)…after resign, there is no return..thanks..

• #13 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 4:29 am

Hello Irene,

If you are really very weak at Math since you are from the ARTS stream then I suggest that you shouldn’t go for Architecture. If you are interested in the design field, you could consider going for Interior design or Computer animation. These are interesting fields too. Interior design does not involve much of Math and is not as expensive as the course of Architecture is. Do give it a thought.

9. #14 by Shiv on May 30, 2012 - 9:13 am

Hello Benzulk,
    Read all your post… Interesting and since your answering every Qs. I got 1more!
    I got everything to become an architect and I’m very creative.
    My Qs. is that because I’m good at physics, maths and art it gives me the opportunity to go for engineering line which I also like. The field for it would be: – aerospace:-designing field.
    But now I’m confused! to which one to pick?
    I like architect the same way I do for aerospace since my childhood.
    Maybe you could help. Us you no more about the outside and about art….

Sorry for the long info. And THANKS! In advance, if could really help me out this situation… Much appreciate it.

10. #15 by Neha on June 3, 2012 - 11:03 pm

Hi benzu
    Im in +1 n opted for non medical, i m good in physics n maths nd like art nd i dnt wheather i m creative or not though my parents say u hav a creative mind bt i m nt sure …..
    I m lukin 4frwd towards Architecture as i want to do something different n intresting.. I m nt afraid from working hard bt would i get a decent job ?? bcoz at end of the day money does matter..
    so wt do you think cn i b able to do b.arch???

• #16 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 1:27 am

Hello Neha,
      If you are really good at what you are doing then you will definitely find a decent job with a decent salary.
      Don’t worry so much about making money. Focus on being the best, money will follow.

All the best for your career!

🙂

11. #17 by shikha on June 6, 2012 - 11:57 pm

i m in 11 nd want to study architecture after 12 plz tell me something about it so that i would prepare my subjects to the best na some best college for architecture

• #18 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 1:24 am

Hello Shikha,
      You should good at two major subjects namely Math and Drawing. Thats all you need to be a good Architect.

Benzu

12. #19 by Fernando on June 8, 2012 - 10:24 am

hi i’m from angola (africa) people say that i draw well…and all my idea are defferent and amazing … But i do not have opportunity to show my talent …now i’m trying to get a scholarship for japan ….i hope god help me . Because .
    i want be one of the greatest architect of the world…share my idea with the world. Pelease Pray for me and tell all of your friend and family and all friend to pray cause i need.

• #20 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 1:22 am

Don’t worry Fernando,
      I am sure you will make it. If you really have a strong desire to win, you will.

13. #21 by losini on June 8, 2012 - 9:33 pm

whch is the bst institution to study architecture in India?
    at present i’m stdyng 10th so whch 1 shld i tak up in 11th cbse board or samacheer kalvi (provided by tamil nadu govt)?

• #22 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 1:21 am

Here are some of the good institutions for Architecture in India:
      J.J College of Arts and Architecture
      SPA in Delhi
      SPA in Vijayawada
      IIT, Kharagpur (Has engineering and Architecture both)

14. #23 by Donovan on June 10, 2012 - 3:49 am

Hi BenzuJK I am currently a Science student and I’m thinking of switching to interior design. The only problem is that I’m not skilled in drawing. I can draw but I’m not talented. My only concern is that do you think it is a good idea for me to go into interior designing with little talent on drawing?! I’m a pretty creative person, I know what looks good on what but I don’t know how to incorporate my ideas in sketching well enough.

• #24 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 1:18 am

Yes, you sure can.
      I don’t see any problem for not opting for Interior designing.

All the best!
      🙂

15. #25 by pragyan on June 10, 2012 - 10:43 pm

How is the job market these days for an architect?

16. #26 by Rubina Yesmin on June 11, 2012 - 12:11 pm

hello,
    I’m 18 yrs old nd I want to go for architecture. But I am a commerce student and recently finished 12th. As well I am a little bit good in maths as I have studied in 10th. So please suggest me that what should i do before going for architect. And is there any scope for an architecture ??. And how many years will it take.

17. #28 by net on June 12, 2012 - 3:15 am

Hi, Benzulk. im freshmen taking the course ARCHITECTURE. yes, ur right. its fun studying arch. but, i have a little problem. the algebra and trigonometry is hard for me to understand…but…. i force my self to learned it. but sometimes, theirs an instances that its hard to figure it out. what should i do?

• #29 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 1:14 am

Hello,
      It is good to know that you are working hard on the subjects that are difficult for you.
      After you are done with the course, you would not need much of Math to be a successful Architect. So I don’t think there is any reason for you to worry about.
      Focus more on the design subjects at the Architecture school.

18. #30 by Tejas C V on June 13, 2012 - 6:08 am

Hello,
    I am very passionate about architecture. And have decided to take up architecture. But, I’m not happy with only a under graduate degree. So, in the current market prospect of India which is the best option in M.arch?

• #31 by BenzuJK on June 19, 2012 - 4:51 am

Hello Tejas,
      You could go for March in Advanced construction. I am sure that will be useful.

I guess you are yet to pursue Architecture. Let me tell you that while you are studying Architecture at college, you will get to deal with various subjects. For example, Urban Design, Town Planning, Landscape Architecture etc. You do not know yet what you would get interested in. So, I sincerely feel that you must wait for the right time to come that is when you would be completely aware of your right and wrong choices.

19. #32 by pranjal naik on June 14, 2012 - 9:04 pm

can i opt commerce stream and be an architect?

20. #34 by lakshmi.md on June 17, 2012 - 2:12 am

i am doing bca ,after it i like to do b.arch can i do it.but i have 40% in plus two can i get admission in reputed college

• #35 by BenzuJK on June 19, 2012 - 4:46 am

Hello Lakshmi,

I have just one single question for you.

Why do you want to pursue Architecture after BCA (Bachelors in Computer Applications)? Why do you want to change your stream?

21. #36 by Ngo Tan Trung on June 17, 2012 - 5:58 pm

Hello Benzulk
    I am 23 years old. I have just graduated with civil construction engineering bachelor degree in Vietnam with the highest score in my school. I know I am so carzy about architecture. I want to study architecture in USA. The problem is the course needs 7 years to get a legally license to work as an architect. This is really so long, when I get it, I will be 30 years old to star a career without experiences. You can help me find the course which offers the shortest time to study. I am so confused about my future. Waiting for your replay every seconds pasts.

• #37 by BenzuJK on June 19, 2012 - 4:36 am

Hello Ngo Tan Trung,
      The course is genuinely long. But I see that you have already done your graduation in Civil construction which means you are already a Civil Engineer.
      I have a better choice for you. Since you are into Civil Construction, why don’t you consider pursuing masters in Structural designing in USA instead of spending 7 more years to complete Architecture? I think that would be an awesome option for you.
      You will finish your masters degree in maximum of 2 years. This will enable you to work in better structural firms anywhere abroad.

As far as Architecture goes, if you want to do a shorter course in Architecture, many universities offer courses in Architectural technology or design. But you will not get a license to work as an Architect. You can become a designer.

So, I sincerely feel that you should pursue Structural Engineering in a good reputed university. This will put your career on the fast track.

I wish you all the best for your career. Take decisions wisely. Try to have a broader perspective towards how life could be.
      Tc.

22. #38 by Hritu on June 18, 2012 - 10:08 pm

i m really good at art..n want 2 tak b.arch programme…bt i m really confused about d future career…can i risk it????

• #39 by BenzuJK on June 19, 2012 - 4:43 am

Well Hritu, the question is not about taking risks. You take risk if you are not sure whether you will like it in the long run or not. When it comes to choosing your profession, you have to be completely aware of what you would want from it.
      Choosing a profession is a personal choice and not always based on how much money you would make.
      If you really love your job, then you will always be happy and try and find ways you could make the best of your God gifted skill.
      So, think for yourselves, what do you really want to be in life? Do you really want to see yourself as an Architect? Would you be happy pursuing Architecture? Does designing buildings, surroundings give you a sense of happiness?

These questions will help evaluate yourself (as to what you like and what you want)

All the best of luck!
      Tc.

23. #40 by ummehani zaki on June 19, 2012 - 11:45 am

hello…i hav just finished with my 10th standard….hav heard that architecture has alot of scope….i hav scored a 93/100 in science n 145/150 in maths (good in geometry)…im not used 2 slogging n mugging up in studies..i m nt that good in drawing though….i m jus very confused nor do i wanna go in medical or engineering coz m nt interestd in slogging unecessarily for d CET xams n my frnz say dat architechture iz d only field left wich has alot of scope n d only field where one can earn good too….i am just too confused!!!
    pls advice me on wat can i do??! i really need advice!!

• #41 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 12:37 am

Hello Zaki,
      Architecture course does include some Civil engineering subjects that involve mathematical calculations. You will have a lot theory subjects too..
      I must make it clear that Architecture is a field that requires tremendous amount of hard work and dedication. It is no FUN field.
      Generally, students make a mistake while choosing Architecture. They have a huge misconception that this field does not require hard work and then are unable to clear the subjects. This fills their heart with frustration and hatred for the profession.
      If you are ready to work hard and are creative enough, you should definitely consider taking up Architecture. And if you are more interested in the technical part of designing structures, then you should for Civil Engineering.

All the best!

24. #42 by atsiahs on June 20, 2012 - 9:33 am

hi , i want to become interior designer n i’m studying architecture how to achieve my aim??? and dont we get more salary in interior designing???

• #43 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 12:29 am

There are different options in Architecture.
      Since, you want to be an interior designer, you should consider taking up B.arch in Interiors.

25. #44 by Reshu Poudel on June 24, 2012 - 3:11 am

Hello, i read all the comments above and i liked you.. I am a student of 12,i mean i have finished it… and now i’m so much confused and afraid about my future..I’ve only few days for my 12 class result and then i have to decide what should i read further.. I want to be an architect but i don’t know much about it.. so please can u tell me about these all?? 🙂

26. #45 by Reshu Poudel on June 24, 2012 - 3:27 am

I’ll be waiting for your reply,please do reply soon.. i loved your spirit so much…

27. #46 by Sweet35 on June 24, 2012 - 11:35 am

Hi benzu
    I have completed my 10+2 exams with 92 % from commerce with business maths as one of my subject.. And I have passed my Nata exam ..am I eligible to do b.arch

• #47 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 12:21 am

Hello,
      If you have passed your NATA exam successfully, then you are eligible to do Architecture. More than counting on the eligibility, I think you should count as to how much interest you possess in the field.

28. #48 by Nizwm basumatary on June 26, 2012 - 4:04 am

I have got 106 marks in Aieee B.arch.. And m ST category,, will i get any govt college with that marks?

• #49 by BenzuJK on June 28, 2012 - 10:52 am

Hello,
      I have no idea about the marks requirement for people belonging to ST category. It would be better if you could go to the college you want to take admission into and inquire about the entry requirements for the course.

All the best!

29. #50 by vignesh on June 27, 2012 - 5:49 am

hi, i have completed my higher secondary exam in tamilnadu, i have scored 290 in NATA and i love creativity, my question is, is architecture is a good field to a first graduate of a family like me and is the course is so expensive and what is the future scope?? pls help me cause everyone around me say it is stressful and has no scope!! pls help me to convince them, thank you

• #51 by BenzuJK on June 28, 2012 - 11:52 pm

Hello Vignesh

As far as my knowledge goes, NATA is out of 200 marks.

Architecture is a creative field. I will not deny the fact that it requires lot of dedication and hard work. If you are willing give your best to be the best, then nothing should pose a problem to you.
      And about the scope for Architecture, it has tremendous scope in a country like India.
      Let me give you an example. Maybe, this might help you convince your family.
      Population in India is continuously growing. This creates a need for housing. One thing is to be understood that no matter what kind of recession goes on, construction industry will not loose momentum. Its simple to understood. People require a shelter to live in. That is never going to change. You are going to be designer who designs shelters for the people to live in. Need for housing gives rise to different types of houses depending on the economic condition of the people. That would include lowcost housing, vernacular design, lavish villas for the rich etc…
      Its an exciting field. Loads and loads of opportunities will come. It all depends on how you take them. Don’t make decisions on the basis of what other people say. It’s not their life, it’s yours. You are the one who is going to live it. And choosing the right profession is the first step towards successful living.
      And about the course being expensive. It does involve a lot of expenses since you have to spend a lot of money in taking printouts and making a presentable portfolio. So, you need to have the skill of money management which I am sure you will learn gradually.
      Apart from creativity, Architecture teaches us two important skills namely time management and money management.

Finally, all i would like to say is take decisions wisely without being influenced by anyone. If some person has had a bad experience in Architecture does not mean that there is no scope in the field. To be the best, you need to show the world that you are indeed the best.

All the best for your future.
      Take care.

30. #52 by vasavi on June 27, 2012 - 6:50 am

hey,
    im really passionate abt architecture.. iv just finishd my 12th. just nt sure how much time it would actually taje me to settle down in my career … im talented nd ready to work hard.. i have also met and seen d work of an architect and im absolutely happy… would really wanna take up a designing as i love it…. n is it possible for me to gt into a gud college with a 12thiusand score in barch and 130 in nata????? pls help…. n thanks a lot ur words really motivated me… 🙂

• #53 by BenzuJK on June 28, 2012 - 10:40 am

Hello Vasavi,
      You will surely make it up. 130 in NATA is not a bad score indeed.
      The best thing is that you have made an effort and have gone through the works of an Architect. So I guess you are quite aware of what your job is going to be like as an Architect.
      Your motivation and passion will lead you towards true success. Just don’t let your determination die just because some third person hasn’t succeeded as an Architect or he/she found the course difficult to pursue.
      All the best of Luck! And do keep visiting the site. Let us know if we can assist you in any way.
      Tc.