7 Reasons Why You Should Study Architecture

Architecture is the art and science of designing buildings and other physical structures.

Architecture is about the making of places where people spend their lives. Architects are not just concerned with the exterior and interior design of a building, but the environment as a whole and how the living inside this building feel, which could be improved with accessories as the Best dehumidifier you can buy online so also the mold doesn’t develop. Architecture is mostly about human beings living in a “better” way then before. Social sciences and psychology is as important as nanotechnology and sustainable materials…

Make sure to find out more about plantation shutters here.

Study Architecture

There is an important questions that needs to be asked. Why study Architecture in the first place? What are the merits of choosing Architecture as a career over other professions? And what could be the compromises and trade-offs an Architecture student might have to make to achieve success?

Here are the 7 reasons that could convince anyone to take up Architecture as a profession…

1. An Architect is a sort of an inventor. Like an inventor who goes about making and designing new gadgets, you go around designing new buildings. Architecture is a very satisfying profession You’ll get a tremendous sense of delight after your concepts on paper transform into real buildings. You’ll know the joy of creation in this field of Architecture and where the professionals are like roof repair rocky mount nc that you can count on for roof maintenance…

2. A course in Architecture is a lot of fun. Unlike traditional colleges where you must slog yourself in study halls and libraries, reading and writing all the time, a course in Architecture gives you the liberty to use the right side of your brain, the creative part. You get a lot of opportunities to showcase your creativity and ingenuity while designing structures.

3. Architecture is a very high paying field. Once you get through the course and pass out with good grades, you’d be pursued by large firms looking for fresh talent and new ideas. And compared to most other fields, Architects make a lot more money. With a wage like that it is easy to acquire a full coverage from i4mt for your car.

4. It is easy to define Architecture but the word has far deeper meaning than it implies. While you study Architecture, you get to study various fields of human endeavor, including Art, History, Material Science, Physics, Engineering… anything and everything that can help improve the living environment of human beings. It is the most diverse subject you can find. And yet, this field attracts the most creative and romantic minds in the world.

5. The work of an Architect one of the most challenging and enjoyable imaginable. Every building is different. Every project is different. There is absolutely no monotony in life. The thrill and the challenge of work is exhilarating to say the least.

6. If you’re the kind of guy (or gal) who likes to work with his (or her) hands, then Architecture is the right profession for you.  In Architecture study course, you get to work with your hands. Its not just about reading and writing all the time, but you must have a hands-on approach on many assignments. Building scale models, making surveys, talking to people… its a very active field.

7. Architecture may sound like a 9 to 5 office job, but its not. Its a lot more than that. Even as a student of Architecture, you get to work on real-life problems of designing functional buildings. If you like to hit the road every now and then, you’re in for some luck. In this profession, you get to travel a lot. You have to put your feet on the ground, and visit construction sites.

Counter-Argument

Times Online in UK has published a very thought-provoking and interesting article about the perils of choosing Architecture. It is titled Who would want to be an architecture student? A very interesting read indeed.

If you are looking for golf course property for sale Desert Mountain AZ, visit www.propertiesofdesertmountain.com for more information. Otherwise, if you are looking to acquire services on property management in Orange County, CA, get in touch with Utopia Management.

In that article, Tom Dyckhoff has laid down in detail the problems faced by architecture students after they graduate. Architecture is a high profile field. We see the symbols of architecture everywhere around us. It is a “cool” career choice. But there isn’t enough demand for Architects. Due to the current housing recession, salaries have dropped, and they are considerably lower than those in the Medical or Dental fields.

It is true that architecture students work very hard to get that “edge” over others. They work day and night, often with little sleep, just so they can design the best project portfolio. But it doesn’t really pay off. Life of an architecture student is hard.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1. #1 by rajni on July 1, 2013 - 7:30 am

hi!!
    i am rajni and i am studying architecture and i am currently in 4th year . First of all .. i love architecture but i am an average student .some project inspire me and some don’t .. i want to do masters from abroad ..i am little confuse rite now what to opt for masters ..but i really want to try interior designing can you please suggest me some nice college and what is the basic requirement for the admission .
    and yes can i do side job with my master degree ? is it possible with amount of work load .what are the chances of getting a decent paid job after my masters ?
    hope to hear from you soon

2. #2 by kajal on July 1, 2013 - 7:13 am

hii i’m kajal i’m completed my 12th in science and also passed out NATA exam.i want to be an architect , i’m good at math & steching bt my imagination power is not good, would that be a problem ? plz help me what should i do ? or just think of another cources related to drawing to take up ?

3. #3 by irudaya raj on June 30, 2013 - 11:16 pm

hi.my daughter completed her 12th std this yr.she says tat she want 2 do architecture. i want 2 know wat r the job opportunities after b.arch? how much they can earn in future? and also job opportunities for architects in central government of India and the pay scales?

4. #4 by shubhangi on June 27, 2013 - 7:18 am

shubhangi :
    hello,
    i am a student in ninth grade and have been thinking about being an architect for a fairly long time…i believe that this seriously is a very suitable career choice for me…but now when i am researching further…i have seen that this career is not suitable for women because of various reasons…
    also after reading the above comments…i have seen that the scope has reduced and the payment is not enough….
    i am very serious for this profession so, please clear my following doubts…

5. #5 by shubhangi on June 27, 2013 - 7:17 am

hello,
    i am very serious for this profession so, please clear my following doubts…

6. #6 by Sam on June 19, 2013 - 8:11 pm

can you be an architect if you’re not creative? I like art but I can’t draw…

7. #7 by arshdeep on June 10, 2013 - 9:21 am

hi , i am a 11th class student ,… i want to know about NATA paper after 12 …does it have anything to do with JEE mainAND JEE ADVANCED syllabus. and do this paper is integrated with JEE MAINS PAPER

8. #8 by Huda on June 10, 2013 - 4:53 am

Hey,
    I’m 17 years old and have to choose career this year. It is my greatest ambition to become an architect. I love architecture and I admire Architects. I am pretty creative and I am good at Maths but my drawing is just average. Can I make it into a good university without ‘great’ architecture skills?

Cheers!

9. #9 by Huda on June 9, 2013 - 4:01 pm

Hey,

Cheers!

10. #10 by Neethu Chacko on June 6, 2013 - 10:21 am

hi.. i am an isc computer science 12th std student.. i did not have any idea of what my future plans should be until last few weeks since i had heard about architecture. i love to draw..pencil drawings.. and i want to be creative and different from others who mostly opt for engineering and medicine….now i feel that architecture is my field.. but i dont know about its scope.. actually i dont know how to take a decision.. pls help me..

11. #11 by karuna on May 31, 2013 - 2:55 am

hey…benzu i m nt that good in drawing or sketchng bt i want to pursue architecture as a career…plzz advice me wat should i do..
    m frm india-guwahati…….u r a very wonderful person..true advisor:)

12. #12 by manha on May 29, 2013 - 12:37 am

helo
    my name is manha i have completed my intermedeate with bi’pc
    i am average student. now i want to be a architecture
    is it possible a since student can enter in architecture field ????
    if it is possible what should i have to do now ??? reply as soon as possible plzzzzzzzzzzzz i am waitins

13. #13 by MONISHA on May 26, 2013 - 9:00 pm

MONISHA :
    I completed my 2nd puc (2013) I got 87 percent n I am planning to take architecture…. I am good at math k k at sketching n all can I take architecture I even wrote nata in tht I got 96/200 bt I am worried abt taking archi

14. #14 by MONISHA on May 26, 2013 - 8:59 pm

I completed my 2nd puc (2013) I got 87 percent n I am planning to take architecture…. I am good at math k k at sketching n all can I take architecture I given wrote nata in tht I got 96/200 bt I am worried abt taking archi

15. #15 by Ana on May 22, 2013 - 12:25 am

I’m having my interview for architecture course in 3 days and I’m looking forward to it and at the same time nervous and scared if I was rejected because I really want try something new. I’ve been studying science for 3 years consecutive but I have no passion for it. As for architecture, I love arts and I hope I can apply it into something, like architecture. Reading the article that said ‘tremendous sense of delight’ really got me excited. So, what is the basic things that I should know? They probably going to ask about who’s architecture that you know, building that inspired me and I’ve done my research about those but in your opinion, what other question they might ask? Anyway, wish I had found your article sooner.

16. #16 by nandini kumari on May 16, 2013 - 12:11 am

i want to go 4 architecture bt i am very bad at drawing . i could not even make a single drawing. i am also not very creative . do u think i can go for architecture ??????? or what u suggest

17. #17 by bharathi on May 8, 2013 - 11:58 pm

im in 12th std and i have been preparing for nata…..im good at drawing,creativity and i find the preparation for nata very easy….also im good at perspective drawings…..im not worried about salary…but will i be a successful architect?is being good enough in drawing and maths enough?im in a dilemma as to whether choose b.arch or ba fine arts…….

18. #18 by su on May 1, 2013 - 8:16 am

hello, ladies and gentle men
    i ‘m so proud of being an architecture university student! i’m really interesting in inventing designs and drawings! i can imagine the designs but the i have difficulties in estimating course! it’s really confuse for me when i learn! it’s my problem !

19. #19 by Jeet on April 16, 2013 - 2:20 am

Hello.. Im really confused about my career and i thought of taking up architecture but im worried if ill be able to keep up to the pressure and whether ill be good at it.. Im good at drawing and sketching and im a fast learner but ive heard people say that you need a “Vision” to do architecture and im not sure i have what it takes.. :/ Help! 🙁

20. #20 by prasanth on April 12, 2013 - 4:08 am

This prasanth my sister completed 12….and she wants to join architecture…will u pls tell me …how many colleges offering architecture in andhra pradesh and which is best among them…pls reply it …our joining depends on u r guidance..so i request u how many colleges in ap..with information..and which is best…thank u

21. #21 by Joyeeta on April 8, 2013 - 7:10 am

I am currently in 12th grade and studying in a coaching institute for JEE. I desperately want to get admission in any IIT or (atleast) NIT. I searched for admission in architecture colleges in India and found out that I have to appear in the entrance exam conducted by NATA, right? But i want to know whether I can get admission by appearing in JEE (new pattern, 2013) ?? Can I study architecture from any IIt or NIT institute?? And what is the syllabus of the entrance exam…..11th and 12th or something else??

22. #22 by LOVITA on March 13, 2013 - 11:36 pm

I want my son to do B.Arch course in Delhi,Is entrance exam of NATA is tough and what is the % of result.Secondly Is this a good course .

23. #23 by sarah on March 13, 2013 - 9:48 pm

Hye,
    i’m graduated from bachelor in environmental health and safety (hons). if it possible for me to take architecture course. with master or else? very pleasure to receive your response

24. #24 by sreelekha.s on March 10, 2013 - 3:41 am

hi sir…….

25. #25 by sreelekha on March 10, 2013 - 3:38 am

hi sir…….
    m a middle class gal wid average performance in studies……. m confused in opting b.arc coz i need 2 earn alot 4 d sake of my family……. do i get d good job o slry afta cmpltng my b.arc ? i need 2 look afta my poor famly n future……….. cn u hlp me out? m gud at maths bt m nt dat gud n physics……

26. #26 by sree on February 15, 2013 - 5:21 pm

I’m really confused in choosing ma carrier… I wanna do architecture as I hav a lykin towards it.. Is architecture a good carrier? will I be comfortable in that field

27. #27 by nikita on January 25, 2013 - 6:51 am

hey im 16 years old n want to do a degree in architecture currently in 11std what r the things that i should do to guarantee my admission in a good university? any exams or entrance tests that i should attend?? im kinda confused!! ppl tried to talk me out of it telling it is very difficult to study.. i want to be an architect.. can yu tell me the pros n cons??

28. #28 by korina on January 6, 2013 - 1:09 am

i’m just curious about this course(architecture). My family told me that i should try to take up this course because of my creative skills.Like for example in doing projects, they used to tell me that i have the guts of being an architect someday, but i’m not that good in math. Does architecture involves a lot of math problems ?

29. #29 by yansburg on December 24, 2012 - 11:13 pm

i’m a freshman arch student right now , i really like architecture since childhood and some of its subjects .but my very problem is the DESIGN subject, its really stressful and challenging especially making concepts and sketches of your work also meeting deadlines. i find it so hard making miniatures,actual projects and i don’t have a nice ideas while making it. i sometimes feel i’m not capable of it. this will take a very long time ( a 5 year course and a 2 year apprenticeship ) . i don’t also want to shift to another course b’cause my parents had spent a lot a money for this. i dont wanna waste money.i tried my very best but this course is really really stressful. what shall i do? is this really for me?

30. #30 by Radhika Lakhotia on December 23, 2012 - 6:50 pm

Hey, I am presently doing IBDP (1st year). My subjects are Maths (sl), Physics (hl), English (hl), Visual Arts (hl), Business Management (hl). I’m pretty good in all. Am sure about my career choice, i.e. architecture. Do you think I might have a problem in pursuing it?? Please also advice me what to do after my year 2 (year 1 presently). Can I do two degrees at the same time as in B.Arch. (Regular) in construction and B.Arch. in Interior Design?
    I know architecture is a super awesome field and also that what others say should not influence me, but is architecture that difficult??

31. #31 by Shiny on December 16, 2012 - 11:51 pm

I want to be an arch. since i was at school.It was my dream.So i did advanced level exam in combined maths,physics,chemistry. But unfortunately i failed combined maths subject.Then once again i did A/L’s in art subjects.for only complete my higher education.
    I really want to be an arch. But after i failed maths i have a fear of maths. but i can draw and paint well. So these days I’m following a graphic design and multimedia degree. But i can’t concentrate the course because i am thinking about arch. field. i have a feeling to give up this current course and enter the arch. degree in next year.but still i don’t have a clear idea. Are there lot of maths in arch.?

32. #32 by Kinza on December 15, 2012 - 12:51 pm

Hello,

I have graduated high school and am taking a gap year, now has come the time to apply to my choice of course through ucas and im contemplating careers between architecture and one other option of mine. I personally am a very creative person, i paint and draw as well as explore countless medium in art and design. I’m also very good at biology and chemistry however i do not even ALMOST understand physics. A part of this article mentioned how an aspect of architecture includes engineering so i was wondering if being able to do physics is important or not for an architect?

33. #33 by sonia on December 13, 2012 - 9:43 pm

maa’m…. it was so nyc to hear from you…. thanks a lot…. felling much beter…..
    r you on facebook… just to add you up… for some guidance…
    how do i improve my section elevation i think i am poor in it.. i do get them right but till the end i am lot confused whtr i have got right or not.. while marking that turn out to be almost right.. but still i get lot more confused..
    is there some book or some website i can refer too… to get more perfect in it..
    please help me out i have no senior to help no guidance and my college is kind of botherless… i wanna be a very gud architect…

34. #34 by khushi on December 7, 2012 - 10:52 pm

Do people have a good life when they choose arch. i am not very good in art. Can we spend time with our friends.

35. #35 by Sting-Ray on December 5, 2012 - 7:59 pm

I’d to use this information for a school project and would like to use this information, what is the publisher for this article? What would you think about an architectural history and design class for high-schoolers?

36. #36 by shravya on December 1, 2012 - 11:08 pm

I am presently in 11th and i wanna take up my career on architecture. Dou you think it a right choice to get a decent job without recession and will have good demand around 2021?

I am good with art work and also have tons of crearive ideas

And i have a feeling that this may be a good career option with a really good income…..
    So can u please give me ur views …….

37. #37 by gunda on November 30, 2012 - 2:00 am

hi i am Gunda from Nigeria,i am a high school graduate about to start college,i am very poor in calculations like (maths physics etc) and i really want to study architecture, what will you advice me to do, i want you to be my guide please. i must study architecture. thnxxx xoxo

38. #38 by Bailey Wicker on November 28, 2012 - 5:17 pm

Hey! Im a 13-yr-old boy in middle school and REALLY interested in architecture and geography! is there any way i can put them together? Also, what are the requirements to be an architect?

39. #39 by Divya on November 27, 2012 - 1:45 am

Hello,
    Pls can you tell me whether studying 5 yrs B.Arch in the US or India is better than doing 3yrs BA or BSc Architecture from UK ?
    I have right now taken Math,Physics,Visual Arts Higher in my IB Diploma aspiring to become an architect.
    Thanks.

40. #40 by Ebuka on November 27, 2012 - 1:32 am

hy i am frm Nigeria,at first i didnt knw wat 2 study i had petroleum eng in mind,den my family told me 2 go for comp eng,den i prayed ova it nd God told me 2 go for architecture,i am little gud at science subjects ,bt i dnt knw hw 2 scketch of heart,i need a good advise pls

41. #41 by Tuleen on November 20, 2012 - 9:54 am

hi! I was kind of wondering, why architecture is considered as an art, and not as engineering?!

42. #42 by sonia on November 20, 2012 - 5:36 am

maa’m…. it was so nyc to hear from you…. thanks a lot…. felling much beter…..
    r you on facebook… just to add you up… for some guidance…
    is there some book or some website i can refer too… to get more perfect in it..

43. #43 by Bella on November 19, 2012 - 12:01 pm

hey! I’m 16 years old and I’m planning to be an architect, I love math and I’m excellent in it, but I’m not good in drawing. I don’t know if I’m creative or no, especially in designing buildings and something like this. I’m inspired by my uncle who’s a very successful architect. Please tell me what do you think of this, may I fail in it?

44. #44 by sonia on November 19, 2012 - 2:16 am

hello maam
    i am sonia…. from India , studing in one of the architecture college in Mumbai… since grade 7 i have decided to take up architecture though i have never strive toward it…
    due to some personal reason i couldn’t give my architecture entrance exam.. and ended up taking engineering as i was science student.. in that one year of engineering.. i kept thinking that this is not meant for me.. i always wanted to take up arch as my career.. and in mid way i left my course..
    i did preparation for my arch entrance again.. i landed up getting addmison in mumbai.. i wast sincere in my first year of b.arch and so i got kt in humanities.. now when i am in second year.. i am still not being serious in it.. even after faceing so much of obstacle.. i dont find any reason why i am behaving so… this was the only course i use to dream about and when i am into it why i am not taking it seriously…? i am good in maths… and i do get compliment in my design creativity… infact in 1st year my model was the 1st in class to be approved.. but i think i am poor in sketching..
    and even i have heard negative comments about me in graphic and building construction.. i face problem in perspective drawing, elevation, section and drafting of building construction like single double timber floor… so i think i got demotivated

Is sketching so important to be a good architect??? which books i can refer for learning plan elevation and section.. ???? and how should i improve my graphics??? my 3d vision..
    and maa’m do you think if i study hard i can be a good architect ???

hope to hear form you soon… thank you,

• #45 by BenzuJK on November 20, 2012 - 4:54 am

Dear Sonia,

Don’t get so stressed over this. Sketching is not the only important thing to be a good Architect. It is just a part of it. You will gradually get a hang of it. I am glad that you are creative and good in Math. That equals like 70% of architecture. The rest you will learn.
      At this age, we tend to be insincere but once we are determined to do our best, we automatically strive towards it.
      Sometimes not being able to focus is also because of the company you are in. Maybe your friends are not very interested in studying and you get carried with them. This is pretty common. Initial years in Architecture are very important. Only bookish knowledge acquired in colleges in not important.
      Follow two simple rules:
      Make a diary
      Learn or read two new things everyday and write them down (I am sure this is no big deal. Everyone can do this)
      But believe me… at the end of your academic year, you will be way ahead of everyone else in your batch

There is so much to learn in Architecture. Its infinite.

On weekends, practice sketching. Make 5 sketches minimum. You can also practice one minute sketching – Put a timer and roughly sketch 10 different small things you see around. It could include a pencil, pen, eraser, laptop, jug, book ….etc. We used to have this in college. It works wonders. Sketching improves drastically.

And don’t worry about your 3d vision. It takes sometime to develop. Just keep working hard on all that I told you to. And if you do this passionately and honestly, noone can hold you back from being the best!

Cheers 🙂

45. #47 by amir asyraf on November 18, 2012 - 6:51 am

i take math and add math subject when i was in high school both subject i get for A+. im very good in math and also art. but i dont take science stream like biology,chemistry and physic. is that ok if i want to take architecture couse?

46. #49 by abi on November 10, 2012 - 11:16 pm

hi!! this is abi.. i m now 16.. i have a plan to choose arch as my career.. but i m absolutely confused as to how should i prepare to my nata entrance… and i m good in art.. please do help.. and please do suggest if i shall good jobs????

• #50 by BenzuJK on November 17, 2012 - 9:42 am

Hello Abi,
      There are many classes out there that train you for NATA entrance. You should join one of those.

Cheers 🙂

47. #51 by Isah ismail on November 5, 2012 - 12:06 pm

Gd day ma! You have been doin great job tenkx 4 ur surpot. Am by name ismail nd am from Nigeria. I just graduate from secondry school this year am a science student but am nt that good in maths nd physics. But am good in drawin since my primary school days nd I love it nd wen I was in my last year I participate in paintin comptition for the first time out of 20 student I came out among the best 3. Nd know I av my nabteb result I only hav pass in physics can I apply for achi wit this I lov archi but some say it is had nw 2 earn job as an archi in Nigeria pls shuld I go for it am good in drawin nd lov doin tinz my own way pls I need ur advice shuld I realy follow my mind. Pls help me out I want 2 apply next year in Federal uni of technology minna Nigeria. Tenx 4 ur good work may God lift u higher (amen).

• #52 by BenzuJK on November 17, 2012 - 9:41 am

Hello Isah,
      It is hard to earn in every field. It also depends on the country you live in.
      The scope for construction is on the rise. Everyone is aiming at city extensions, new city designs since our population is booming.

Take up a field which you think best suits you and you will be happy working all your life. It is a decision of a lifetime. Do not get swayed by what others have to say. Decide on your own. Do a little bit of background study of the current developments in the construction industry. That will probably help you decide.

All the best!
      Cheers 🙂

48. #53 by kennex on October 29, 2012 - 3:02 pm

i like arch. and i kno tht it takes dedication and time etc. , but i have two questions tht are bothering me?? :
    1) pple keep saying tht arch. dnt get paid well so i was wondering, how bad is the payment??? ( is it more thn enough or less or jus right? )
    2) does it eat up all ur personall time??
    thx and i hope u get to answer my problms.

• #54 by BenzuJK on November 17, 2012 - 9:21 am

Hello Kennex,
      The experience with architecture field is different for different people. It all depends how much passion you have for the subject.
      For me, architecture has been an amazing experience. Being able to transform the drawings on paper into a real structure on ground amazes me. We are the creators of beautiful buildings and spaces that people live in.

As far as scope is concerned, people are always going to need new homes to live in. That is not going to change. With increasing population of the world, the scope for construction industry also increases. It is up to you as to how you make the best of what you get!

All the best!
      Cheers 🙂

49. #55 by amir asyraf on October 23, 2012 - 11:39 pm

Hi BenzulK,
    can i ask some question. Im 18year old, i already finish my 12year in school but im not in science stream im from art stream its that a problem for me to take a architecture couse? but im good at math,art,grahpic and i also like to make something new.before this i also have use architecture software like sketcup,revit,autocad,3dmax and photoshop when i was 16year old.

• #56 by BenzuJK on November 17, 2012 - 9:25 am

Hello Amir,

You cannot get admission into architecture if you do not have Math as you main subject in 12th.

Cheers 🙂

50. #57 by W.A on October 19, 2012 - 2:09 am

hello dad!
    i’m very happy by studying architecture. i’m proud of it . architecture is a dream science that can we see its results.