7 Reasons Why You Should Study Architecture

Architecture is the art and science of designing buildings and other physical structures.

Architecture is about the making of places where people spend their lives. Architects are not just concerned with the exterior and interior design of a building, but the environment as a whole. Architecture is mostly about human beings living in a “better” way then before. Social sciences and psychology is as important as nanotechnology and sustainable materials…

Study Architecture

There is an important questions that needs to be asked. Why study Architecture in the first place? What are the merits of choosing Architecture as a career over other professions? And what could be the compromises and trade-offs an Architecture student might have to make to achieve success?

Here are the 7 reasons that could convince anyone to take up Architecture as a profession…

1. An Architect is a sort of an inventor. Like an inventor who goes about making and designing new gadgets, you go around designing new buildings. Architecture is a very satisfying profession You’ll get a tremendous sense of delight after your concepts on paper transform into real buildings. You’ll know the joy of creation in this field of Architecture…

2. A course in Architecture is a lot of fun. Unlike traditional colleges where you must slog yourself in study halls and libraries, reading and writing all the time, a course in Architecture gives you the liberty to use the right side of your brain, the creative part. You get a lot of opportunities to showcase your creativity and ingenuity while designing structures.

3. Architecture is a very high paying field. Once you get through the course and pass out with good grades, you’d be pursued by large firms looking for fresh talent and new ideas. And compared to most other fields, Architects make a lot more money. With a wage like that it is easy to acquire a full coverage from i4mt for your car.

4. It is easy to define Architecture but the word has far deeper meaning than it implies. While you study Architecture, you get to study various fields of human endeavor, including Art, History, Material Science, Physics, Engineering… anything and everything that can help improve the living environment of human beings. It is the most diverse subject you can find. And yet, this field attracts the most creative and romantic minds in the world.

5. The work of an Architect one of the most challenging and enjoyable imaginable. Every building is different. Every project is different. There is absolutely no monotony in life. The thrill and the challenge of work is exhilarating to say the least.

6. If you’re the kind of guy (or gal) who likes to work with his (or her) hands, then Architecture is the right profession for you.  In Architecture study course, you get to work with your hands. Its not just about reading and writing all the time, but you must have a hands-on approach on many assignments. Building scale models, making surveys, talking to people… its a very active field.

7. Architecture may sound like a 9 to 5 office job, but its not. Its a lot more than that. Even as a student of Architecture, you get to work on real-life problems of designing functional buildings. If you like to hit the road every now and then, you’re in for some luck. In this profession, you get to travel a lot. You have to put your feet on the ground, and visit construction sites.

Counter-Argument

Times Online in UK has published a very thought-provoking and interesting article about the perils of choosing Architecture. It is titled Who would want to be an architecture student? A very interesting read indeed.

In that article, Tom Dyckhoff has laid down in detail the problems faced by architecture students after they graduate. Architecture is a high profile field. We see the symbols of architecture everywhere around us. It is a “cool” career choice. But there isn’t enough demand for Architects. Due to the current housing recession, salaries have dropped, and they are considerably lower than those in the Medical or Dental fields.

It is true that architecture students work very hard to get that “edge” over others. They work day and night, often with little sleep, just so they can design the best project portfolio. But it doesn’t really pay off. Life of an architecture student is hard.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1. #1 by makeri on March 9, 2012 - 2:59 am

hey , I’m a high school student in gr11 doing my last year of ig’s i was thinking of studying architecture or interior designing , i like them both but i really dont know how to draw anything even a simple flower i do it after ages of hard work so is it a problem ?! however i dont have a problem with maths or phy I’m good at both i usually get an A or B in them .
    so is studying architecture or interior designing good for me which one do you recommend for me ?? lastly which one is more paid and easier to get jobs ??

2. #2 by Kiara on March 15, 2012 - 9:29 am

Hello, its good to read what you have written.
    I really need help in chposing my career since it high time for me now and finally decide something. I am really interested in architecting..good at maths and physics..fine with my drawing. My mind works alot in this field but I am not sure if I ‘ll be able to do what this field demands for but I am ready to give it a try. Also, many people say that architect is not a money making field..takes a lot of struggle and is not a promising career. I really don’t care about that but it does make a difference..would you acknowledge me with the life of a student after his/her B.arch degree?
    Thankyou !

• #3 by BenzuJK on April 10, 2012 - 9:54 am

Dear Kiara,
      Do not worry about money at this moment. All you have to do is to be the best in the profession you choose to be. And who knows some day after you finish your graduation and are good enough, I might make you a member of my design team. THere are opportunities everywhere. All you have to do is to be aware and not let them go. Cease every opportunity that you get without worrying about the results. That is what makes a successful Architect! Architecture is no bed of roses. There is struggle in every field. DO not pay much head to negative people. They are always going to talk negative no matter what. Don’t give up your choice for the profession you like just because others might not like it. You are an individual. Decide it yourself if you really want to be in it or not. If you want to be then there is nothing to worry. Just go ahead and follow your dreams and ambitions!

All the best for your future!

Cheers 🙂

3. #4 by Cency on March 19, 2012 - 3:31 pm

Hi benzujk, I am so much interested in architecture bt am nt really gud in maths, bt am perfect in drawing. Hw do u see it? And I am nt satisfied when i heard hw much architects are paid. Will it be wise if i combine arch wit civil engineering? Plz let me knw dear.

• #5 by BenzuJK on April 10, 2012 - 10:04 am

Dear Cency,
      Architecture+Civil Engineering is a great combination. If you are confident enough and you think you can handle both, go ahead. Pay no heed to negative people. Just follow your dreams.
      Being good in Math and drawing is a good combination. Pursuing Architectural studies will not be a problem at all.

All the best for your future!
      Cheers 🙂

4. #6 by shawul gulilat on March 24, 2012 - 9:32 am

thanks.

5. #7 by Drey on March 24, 2012 - 1:09 pm

Hi, I’m going to study architecture for my university, but in Indonesia, because I’m Indonesian. any advise? I’m kind of doubt on my skill, and do you think Indonesian architecture student can compete foreign students?

• #8 by BenzuJK on April 10, 2012 - 9:39 am

Hello Drey,
      You can very well compete with whoever you want to. Studying in a good University is important but that is not entirely responsible for what you make out of yourself. The world is at your toes through internet. You can learn and study anything about Architecture/Engineering or any other subject for that matter.
      After you are done with your graduation in architecture from your own country; acquire some experience and plan for post graduation in a country like UK or US. This will help you gain global exposure which is extremely essential for an Architect.

You can always share your views through my blog’s comment section. I am happy to let you know that you can now subscribe for “Architecture student blog updates“.

All the best!

6. #9 by Arianna Kaira on March 28, 2012 - 2:12 am

Hi. I’m good in Physics and Math but I’m not that good in drawing. I’m confused what I’m going to take; Is it Architecture or Civil Engineering. I really want to study Architecture but I think my skills wont meet the needed skills to be an architect. My Friend told me that I can make it because my drawing skills will be enhance in my college years. Is it true? Do you think I can should enter the field of Architecture?

• #10 by BenzuJK on April 10, 2012 - 9:29 am

Hello Arianna,
      Architecture is not just about being able to be good in Maths and Physics. It involves creative work. You should have an immense passion for innovative creative designing. If you like technical stuff and not much interested in designing, then Civil engineering will be a good option for you as a career.

If you wish to discuss your career options more in detail, feel free to use the blog’s comment section.

All the best!
      Benzujk

7. #11 by yidnekachew on April 2, 2012 - 1:15 pm

hi i am an architecture student in Ethiopia , and worry about my futurity . is it really a good profession to get a job? tnx!

8. #12 by Steffi on April 6, 2012 - 1:28 am

i m a b.arch 1st yr student n v hv our studios n v hv to present ourselves wid case studies n all dat stuff so cn u give me some info on how to start wid my case study work n how to write a documentary!

• #13 by BenzuJK on April 10, 2012 - 9:09 am

Hello Steffi,

Check out this article. It is a guide to help you understand all that you need to consider while conducting a Live casestudy.
      How to conduct a casestudy?

Let me know if you want me to elaborate it for you.

Cheers 🙂

9. #14 by shamsuddeen on April 9, 2012 - 12:56 pm

Architecture is dynamic and changes time to time. The only secret about architecture is to be flexible and to accept change at any moment. If not, you will be left behind.

10. #15 by Muhammad saeed on April 11, 2012 - 9:37 am

hi, when we can see your book here.take care

• #16 by BenzuJK on April 12, 2012 - 1:39 am

Hello,
      The book writing is in progress. The book will most probably be released by the end of May this year.

Cheers 🙂

11. #17 by lakshmi on April 12, 2012 - 5:27 am

I had completed my B.Tech in Electronic stream. But i was interested in interior designing shall i join again in B.arch or any institution having this course? Do i am taking the right decision?

12. #18 by Dorjee on April 15, 2012 - 9:24 pm

Hi, I read all ur comments here and found it quite helpful. I was hoping that u cud give me some advise regarding my situation. I have already stayed a gap year now. I am a science student but my physics is poor and my drawing skills are weak too. Although I am good in maths. Even then I have architecture as my choice because I marvel at the sight of great buildings. It has been hard on me getting into an arch. college because of financial problems and tough competitions due to which I am thinking of changing my choice to arts(linguistics). I hope u have some good suggestions for me. Thank you!!

• #19 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 6:00 am

Hello Dorjee,

I seriously think you should consider taking up Civil engineering and not Architecture. You can also consider opting for Fine Arts.

Tc 🙂

13. #20 by begges on April 16, 2012 - 12:22 pm

is being an architect hard? and is this an on-demand job? and what does an architect do in an actual job? does he stay in an office or..somewhere?

14. #21 by lk on April 18, 2012 - 5:33 am

heyy,, m a bit bad in maths but my drawings and sketches are really gud..m frm a middle class family,,so if i go fr d course of architecture ,would i b able to make it any more further?? lyk is der any investment of my own ,which i hav to make??

15. #22 by lk on April 18, 2012 - 5:35 am

and by d way wat is d use of physics ovr here??

16. #23 by pragya on April 20, 2012 - 11:12 pm

hey ….rite nw i m in class 11 and have commerce (maths accounts bst eco and english) and plan to do architecture in future so can i pursue it..i mean with these subjects ..”no science -physics ” ……..n wat should i do …????

• #24 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 5:56 am

Hello Pragya,
      You can go for Architecture but it will a little more tougher for you to cope up with since you are not from the Science stream. So think twice before making any decision.

All the best for your future!
      Tc 🙂

17. #25 by cherry on April 30, 2012 - 3:57 am

hi! Is it needed that an architect knows how to draw?
    because I’M PLANNING TO TAKE bachelor of SCIENCE in ARCHITECTURE and I’m not that so good in mathematics and in drawing but whenever I had projects in school when i was still in HIGHSCHOOL i got always the highest points because I really do great when it comes about designing my projects.but I’M not so good in drawing.

18. #26 by Tami on May 1, 2012 - 6:31 pm

Hi, I’m currently finishing high school and got accepted into the program of architectural studies at the University of Toronto. I was really fascinated in your article as I’ve heard many things about this field that does not necessarily appeal to me such as the work load and the amount of competition. However, when I read your post it reassured me as I’m still deciding upon taking this direction in my life or not. I have taken all the necessary steps by taking courses such as physics, art and math and have also attended a design course (in which I really loved). Nonetheless, I have this fear or insecurity about my choice. Dont get me wrong, I love math, I love arts and I sort of like physics, and designing in general really fascinates me, but I’m not sure if i will like it in the end.

How will i know if im really suited or will like this career? and What would you say are the necessary skills to succeed in such a field?

• #27 by BenzuJK on May 14, 2012 - 3:29 am

Dear Tami,
      If you have always dreamt of pursuing Architecture then nothing should bother you or stop you from doing so. By having taken all the necessary steps by taking courses you have mentioned in the comment, I must say it is really a very good start.
      I must tell you that Architecture is no bed of roses. If you really want to be the best in this field then you will have to strive hard for it. It requires absolute concentration and dedication towards your work. This is how you will learn. Unlike other fields, Architecture is not a profession where you would have to memorize stuff and then forget it after a couple of days. Its a practical and very dynamic field. You get to do things that are real. A Structure that you design on paper is actually transformed into a real structure on earth. What could be possibly more fascinating than this?
      4 Necessary skills that I feel an Architect should possess:
      Dedication towards work
      Passion
      Creativity (which is a gradual development)
      Time management ability

If you think you possess these skills, then I assure you that you will never NOT like being an Architect!
      Best of Luck for your future!
      Cheers 🙂

19. #28 by Mark on May 7, 2012 - 8:52 am

Hi.. I’ve always wanted 2 do architecture bt Bt the financial toll it might take on my folks z smthn im not sure i want them 2 deal with with. Should i stl take it or should i considr smthn els tht i luv tht isn’t as expensive as Arch

• #29 by BenzuJK on May 13, 2012 - 12:20 am

Hello Mark,
      If you are interested in becoming a designer you can consider Interior designing too. Its a great field and has a lot of scope. It also satisfies your condition of not being as expensive as Architecture is.
      Do give it a thought.

All the best!
      Cheers 🙂
      Benzujk

20. #30 by falzD on May 9, 2012 - 5:05 am

Hi, I’m currently in my final year at high school, and hoping to pursue architecture upon completion. I’m have reasonable drawing skills, as I’m taking Visual Arts and Design at the moment, and did tech drawing througout year 9-10, however I feel I’m lacking partially in the creative aspect, during the degree is there a progressive initial development of this creative capacity or will I be thrown straight into the deep end? Furthermore, I’m also doing mathematics, will a highschool knowledge be sufficient to get me through the courses, and what fields of mathematics are necessary as an architect? In regards to physics my knowledge is fairly minimal as I’ve not taken it as a subject, I took engineering studies but subsequently dropped it as I felt it was to much content for what it was worth in relation to my final mark, will I be able to pick up the elements as I go?
    Thanks

• #31 by BenzuJK on May 14, 2012 - 3:15 am

Hello FalzD,
      I feel you are PERFECT for Architecture!
      Your creativity enhancement will take place once you begin with the course. It is a gradual development, so you need not worry about it.
      As far as Mathematical knowledge is concerned, if you have done well in your high school and have a good grasping capacity, then Architectural Mathematics will not pose any problem for you. There are a few subjects in Architecture to improve your knowledge on Structural Engineering calculations for designing the structure. So, in this case, you will have to deal with formulas and mathematical calculations for designing structures but to a minimal extent.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

All the best for your future!
      Cheers 🙂

21. #32 by Prateek on May 10, 2012 - 3:22 am

i am in 12th CG Board (chattisgarh board)
    i like drawings ,sketching,making new graphic and all.
    i am week in maths.
    i m intrested in architecture field?
    suggest me which field in this i should go for study and what about the job after b.arc?
    how to get addmition in this field?
    i need to get gov. job?
    in this field ,how much years i have to study?

• #33 by BenzuJK on May 13, 2012 - 12:16 am

Hello Prateek,
      I suggest you go for BFA in Interior Design instead of B.arch. That would be a great course for you although it would be limited to designing interiors in detail. It does not involve too much of Mathematics like B.arch does. You will easily get through the course without any hassle and you would still be a designer. There are many Universities in India and abroad that offer this course.

Take your time and take a wise decision.

All the best!

Cheers 🙂

22. #34 by TJS on May 12, 2012 - 9:57 am

Hello Benzulk,
    I’ve read all the posts and found them interesting.
    I’m thinking of studying architecture.
    As you have been studying it for quite a while, I was wondering how much free time you actually get?
    As for me that’s one of my worries.

• #35 by BenzuJK on May 13, 2012 - 12:11 am

Hello TJS,
      Free time is something that would be rare to find while studying architecture. It does involve a lot of struggle. No profession is a bed of roses. It is up to you how well you can take it and how serious you are about getting into the course.

My ebook on “WHY STUDY ARCHITECTURE? PROS AND CONS” is going to be released in a month or so… Maybe you would like to check that out.

All the best!
      Cheers 🙂

23. #36 by jmsuriya on May 14, 2012 - 7:15 pm

Nice.

24. #37 by David C on May 15, 2012 - 1:14 pm

If you are thinking about earning a lot of money out of a career out of architecture you are doing it for the wrong resion. Steve Jobs, Richard Branson & James Dyson do not do what they do to earn lots of money. They do what they do because they love it and know why they love it, as a side benefit they can earn a lot of money. If you love something you can with stand any amount of set backs.

Learn your whys and have a great life and create your own future.

25. #39 by Ryan on May 16, 2012 - 10:15 am

Hi Benzulk,

I got accepted into architecture school about 5 days ago!! I am both nervous and excited…. I really just want to do well, but I’ve heard stories about people dropping out of the program at my school and how difficult it is. Is it manageable?

Also, I am a decent drawer, but not an excellent one. My talents lie in material arts and photography… will I be okay?

Your input is appreciated!

• #40 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 5:36 am

Hello Ryan,
      Architecture also involves a couple of Civil Engineering subjects that deal with Math. I just hope you have considered that.

Apart from Math subjects, you will have a couple of theory subjects and a major design subject. Get yourself ready to work hard. That is the only way you can successfully pass the course.
      Best of luck for your future!

Tc 🙂

26. #41 by indu on May 17, 2012 - 12:33 am

Hey … um indu jst cmplt 12th …. wel um nt intrstd in doing btch … intrstd in designg wanna a take architecture … n let me ask u after architecture course can go for foreign countries fo de higher studies jst like btch ms , mba….. ??? plz clarify ma doubt…

• #42 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 5:33 am

Hello Indu,
      You can definitely go for higher studies to any country you wish after having completed B.arch.

It is completely upto to decide the sequence of your courses.
      All the best! 🙂

27. #43 by indu on May 17, 2012 - 12:37 am

r elze would u lyk to go for civil nd den vll go for ms interior design after civil…. jst sugst should i go directly for architecture by nata tst or after civil engineer…. should go for further courses… ??

28. #44 by Ajit Patnaik on May 18, 2012 - 5:50 am

My son is awaiting his 10th CBSE board exam. He will be doing his 11th & 12th taking up PCM. He wants to opt for a career in Architecture.Is he right in his decision ? Will he be secured monetarily ?

• #45 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 5:31 am

Hello,
      Don’t worry about the monetary security. If he is really interested in Architecture and happens to show his talent then he will definitely get loads of opportunities. Especially in a country like India, you should just not worry about the scope in Construction Industry… The scope is always going to be there. That’s fact. In a population of 110 crores, your son will definitely get a few hundreds of projects in his lifetime. I suggest that you should let him do what he really loves. Only then will he be the best.
      Tc.
      BenzuJK

29. #46 by Tomin v thomas on May 18, 2012 - 10:15 pm

I like to study architecture . What are the subjects I want to study. I am week I. Maths PHYSICS & chemistry.

• #47 by BenzuJK on May 18, 2012 - 11:38 pm

Hello Tomin,
      Since you are weak in Maths, Physics and Chemistry; you should reconsider your decision of taking up Architecture. Why don’t you consider getting into Interior Designing and Arts? I think it would be a good choice for you.

All the best!
      Cheers 🙂

30. #48 by Rutuja Pawar on May 20, 2012 - 6:09 am

Hello .
    I am 16 yrs old .
    architecture is on my mind now .
    so, can yu tell me what should i start off with now to become an architect ?
    i mean what should i do at this age which will help me further ,that is wen i get into an architecture college ?
    i really wanna start off working now to become a great architect in future .

• #49 by BenzuJK on June 29, 2012 - 5:10 am

Hello Rutuja,

FOr now you should focus on your college studies if you wish to get admission in a good reputed college. After you are done with your 12th standard, we shall discuss further steps to be taken to achieve your goal. I am writing a book for architecture students. I shall let you know once the book is ready. That will answer most of your questions.

Tc.