7 Reasons Why You Should Study Architecture

Architecture is the art and science of designing buildings and other physical structures.

Architecture is about the making of places where people spend their lives. Architects are not just concerned with the exterior and interior design of a building, but the environment as a whole. Architecture is mostly about human beings living in a “better” way then before. Social sciences and psychology is as important as nanotechnology and sustainable materials…

Study Architecture

There is an important questions that needs to be asked. Why study Architecture in the first place? What are the merits of choosing Architecture as a career over other professions? And what could be the compromises and trade-offs an Architecture student might have to make to achieve success?

Here are the 7 reasons that could convince anyone to take up Architecture as a profession…

1. An Architect is a sort of an inventor. Like an inventor who goes about making and designing new gadgets, you go around designing new buildings. Architecture is a very satisfying profession You’ll get a tremendous sense of delight after your concepts on paper transform into real buildings. You’ll know the joy of creation in this field of Architecture…

2. A course in Architecture is a lot of fun. Unlike traditional colleges where you must slog yourself in study halls and libraries, reading and writing all the time, a course in Architecture gives you the liberty to use the right side of your brain, the creative part. You get a lot of opportunities to showcase your creativity and ingenuity while designing structures.

3. Architecture is a very high paying field. Once you get through the course and pass out with good grades, you’d be pursued by large firms looking for fresh talent and new ideas. And compared to most other fields, Architects make a lot more money. With a wage like that it is easy to acquire a full coverage from i4mt for your car.

4. It is easy to define Architecture but the word has far deeper meaning than it implies. While you study Architecture, you get to study various fields of human endeavor, including Art, History, Material Science, Physics, Engineering… anything and everything that can help improve the living environment of human beings. It is the most diverse subject you can find. And yet, this field attracts the most creative and romantic minds in the world.

5. The work of an Architect one of the most challenging and enjoyable imaginable. Every building is different. Every project is different. There is absolutely no monotony in life. The thrill and the challenge of work is exhilarating to say the least.

6. If you’re the kind of guy (or gal) who likes to work with his (or her) hands, then Architecture is the right profession for you.  In Architecture study course, you get to work with your hands. Its not just about reading and writing all the time, but you must have a hands-on approach on many assignments. Building scale models, making surveys, talking to people… its a very active field.

7. Architecture may sound like a 9 to 5 office job, but its not. Its a lot more than that. Even as a student of Architecture, you get to work on real-life problems of designing functional buildings. If you like to hit the road every now and then, you’re in for some luck. In this profession, you get to travel a lot. You have to put your feet on the ground, and visit construction sites.

Counter-Argument

Times Online in UK has published a very thought-provoking and interesting article about the perils of choosing Architecture. It is titled Who would want to be an architecture student? A very interesting read indeed.

In that article, Tom Dyckhoff has laid down in detail the problems faced by architecture students after they graduate. Architecture is a high profile field. We see the symbols of architecture everywhere around us. It is a “cool” career choice. But there isn’t enough demand for Architects. Due to the current housing recession, salaries have dropped, and they are considerably lower than those in the Medical or Dental fields.

It is true that architecture students work very hard to get that “edge” over others. They work day and night, often with little sleep, just so they can design the best project portfolio. But it doesn’t really pay off. Life of an architecture student is hard.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1. #1 by b.s.maniam.g on April 1, 2016 - 10:10 am

Plz help me i love to join b.arch but i have dyslexia problem i am little poor in drawing but day by day i will be thinking creative things in my mind now i have written 2nd puc and waiting for my result. I think that i will get 70% in my puc will i get seat in b.arch????

2. #2 by Arivu on April 24, 2016 - 12:12 am

Hello.This is Arivu.I am first year barch student in SAP Chennai.I opted for barch jus becoz I don’t like engg.I m little creative but my laziness n poor time management puts me off track of submissions n I hav a lot of backlog.I fear weather I wud be able to touch the finishing line.But I like dng design.I m really interested n I do well if I do.the problem is I m not dng.

3. #3 by Linda on May 4, 2016 - 11:44 pm

Hi. I’m Linda from South Africa.

I’ve been reading people’s questions and answers because I need the same information they’ve been asking about. Then I came across Brandao’s comment and it really scared me. Is is true that architect students work that much? I mean architecture is the only thing I care about…

• #4 by BenzuJK on May 21, 2016 - 6:28 pm

Hi Linda,
      Yes architecture does involve tremendous amount of hard work but if you are passionate about it and is the only thing you care about as you have mentioned in your comment, I do not think that hard work should scare you.

4. #5 by Priyanka on May 8, 2016 - 7:57 am

Hello!

I have just passed year 12 and my grades are just average. I want to be an architect, I enjoy art and math but I’m not good with math at all. I don’t take art as a subject but during my spare time I really enjoy creating sculptures and paintings. I take physics and chemistry and I think im on the verge of failing the IB diploma. If I’m not so great at math and physics but i love art can i still take architeture?

Sincerely,
    Priyanka

• #6 by BenzuJK on May 21, 2016 - 6:26 pm

Hi Priyanka,
      You have to be good in Maths. Architecture is not just about drawing and painting. It involves complex civil engineering subjects such as Design of RCC Structures and Design of Steel Structures etc which involve complex mathematical calculations. So I would suggest that you take all of this into account before making a decision on the course.

5. #7 by geetika on May 13, 2016 - 12:25 am

I am just pass in maths with grace marks but i love drawing ..should i am eligible to taje architecture

• #8 by BenzuJK on May 21, 2016 - 6:23 pm

Hello Geetika. Something that you should be aware of is that Architecture is not just about drawing and painting, it also has complex civil engineering subjects which involve complex mathematics. So if you think you can improve and work hard on your Math, then you will be able to make it.

6. #9 by SHANEHA on May 18, 2016 - 2:41 pm

I am 16 years old and interested to study architectural courses. can you say good collages in kerala ,india. how many years it will take to complete architectural courses.how many mark should i score for NATA exam

7. #10 by Akshara on May 20, 2016 - 11:53 pm

I have currently finished my 12th and awaiting my results.i am good at maths and i do decent sketches. For the past 2 years,i have been telling that i am gonna do architecture.i take time to do even a small sketch.i dont get satisfied until i make a pretty decent one even if it is a simple one.i have been worried of the workload but i am ready to do it.but the thing is i feel i am not creative enough. Whatever i draw,i see,take reference and draw. My parents suggested doing computer engineering as this is hectic.Do u think i should still go for architecture?

• #11 by BenzuJK on May 21, 2016 - 6:20 pm

Hello Akshara,
      Architecture is not just about being able to sketch well. These days we have softwares with the help of which we could make 2d and 3d drawings. So dont worry if you are not very fast at sketching. About creativity, if you are confident that you will enjoy architecture, then you will learn to be creative… that is what you are taught in this 5 year course.

8. #12 by Rahul on May 27, 2016 - 9:38 pm

Hello sir,
    I am a science student and i have just completed my 12th ..and i found b.arch sounds intrusting to me as i have talked to others pursuing the same..but i am not good in my hand skills (drawing) ..will it be productive to pursue b.arch as my career option..or turn into a burden as i am not good enough..

• #13 by BenzuJK on June 23, 2016 - 7:34 pm

Hello Rahul,

Its not just hand skills. Everyone nowadays uses softwares. What is important here is if you are creative. Can you think out of the box? Architects are creators! And you need to understand that. Let me warn you that it is not just a field where you have to draw and paint. You will have complex civil engineering subjects. So research about it before you dive into it. All the best!

9. #14 by syed Nasir on May 30, 2016 - 2:55 am

sir
    i fail in 2puc after givg re exam if i go for architecture there is a value
    and i m good in drawing n m creative good in arts
    so sir can i go fr architecture

• #15 by BenzuJK on May 31, 2016 - 10:33 pm

Hi Nasir,

I am not sure what 2puc means. Apart from drawings, you must also possess good mathematical skills to be a good architect.
      Good luck!

10. #16 by Heenal on June 7, 2016 - 2:43 pm

Heyzz guys..actually I am thinking about
    Becoming an architect ..I am from India..Mumbai specifically…I wanted to know if there is scope in being an architect and is there a demand for architects or are they being played less here…..could anyone pls. Guide me……???

• #17 by BenzuJK on June 23, 2016 - 7:24 pm

If it is purely about being able to find a job, then yes it is tough. But if you enjoy designing and are passionate about it then you will do great. This is no mediocre field. You can only do well if you are really good or wiped out.

11. #18 by Shweta khaire on June 14, 2016 - 12:57 pm

I m not interestd in doing drawing at all but i choose my field as architecture and i wasted 25000 for classes of entrance exam and i sm not interestd nw. Even my sir told me that theirs no scope for architecture. In this field civil engineers get jobs not architecture. My mind is a commerce mind and my brain too, so my sir suggested to go for ca cs or icwa. But now about those 25000 which i wasted now what should i do. I m just hoping that i should not get admission at any college to i will move on towards my commerce field.

• #19 by BenzuJK on June 23, 2016 - 7:21 pm

Hello Shweta,

It is really unfortunate that you did not choose the field you would be interested. What I don’t understand is why you would even bother giving an entrance exam when you did not care about getting into Architecture. Purusing Architecture requires insane amount of hard work, dedication a passion for the field; and all of which you lack. I wish you all the best for your career choices!

12. #20 by Vijaya on June 18, 2016 - 12:43 pm

My daughter just finished 12th. She is good at creativity and done her portfolio beautifully and appreciated by the interviewer. She applied for Communication design and also NATA.

Cleared all the tests of designing and also scored in NATA 142.

She designs very well her more incline towards designing and interior designing also. She is good at logo designing, character designing, message designing.

Now she is confused to choose which field.
    Can you suggest which field is better for her.

• #21 by BenzuJK on June 23, 2016 - 7:14 pm

Dear Vijaya,

I believe she could opt for interior design or Graphic design. Ultimately, it really depends on what she would like to see herself after 10 years.

I hope this helps.

13. #22 by Rubal on July 6, 2016 - 10:29 pm

Hii sir,
    Am of 17 and i am studying commerce stream .but i like to be architecture .which course should i do next? Please suggest

• #23 by BenzuJK on July 19, 2016 - 3:51 pm

Hi Rubal,
      It really depends on what you truly want to see yourself as after 10 years. Also, do some research and find out about different creative professions if you are creative. Architecture is a very creative profession and is interesting but bare in mind it involves immense amount of hard work and dedication. It is a five year course and very intense. So if you are really determined then go for it.
      Good luck!

14. #24 by mehak on July 13, 2016 - 5:12 am

Hey! After reading your blog i really got attracted towards architecture but i cant go for it as i am a medical student and maths is compulsory for architecture. So can you suggest me some other fields that includes all this creativity sketches drawing models that is just full of life i hope u r getting!

• #25 by BenzuJK on July 19, 2016 - 3:45 pm

Hello Mehak,

You could consider opting for interior design. Thats an interesting field as well. Or Art simply. You might enjoy it.

Good luck!

15. #26 by Pallavi on August 8, 2016 - 4:28 pm

Hii..
    I want to become an architect…my sketches are quite good and just completed my twelth from science stream.I had taken admission in ishan institute of architecture a uptu affiliated college.Would this college will help me to give a suitable environment and good platform for my capabilities and abilities.

• #27 by BenzuJK on December 26, 2016 - 6:12 pm

Dear Pallavi,

I have absolutely no idea of this institute. I would suggest you do some research and check out a few good architectural colleges not just where you live but in other cities as well.

16. #28 by Sofia on August 15, 2016 - 2:33 pm

Hi, I’m a year 11 student who just finished IGCSE examinations, with grades CCAAAABB- I’m planning on becoming a successful Production Designer since I’m good at Art (aka film designer /set designer) but my mum who has a degree in architecture says I can become a better and more proffesional production designer if I finish university in architecture because I will learn every basics of Art, along with other very useful things. With an degree in architecture, can I become a production designer? Should I go to architecture uni, instead of set design one?

• #29 by BenzuJK on December 26, 2016 - 6:07 pm

Dear Sofia,

If you want to become a Production Designer then Architecture has nothing to do with it. I would suggest you get into something that would specifically teach you to become a production designer. Architecture is not an Art degree. It is incredibly difficult and intense. It does not go on to teach you basics of art. You have to have a strong foundation of it before you even join that course so that you can then concentrate on the difficult stuff that you would learn at the University. You are taught the art of designing real structures. It is a wonderful course to be in. Honestly, you will learn nothing about Production Design. It is a very intense course and I would only recommend you get into Architecture if you were really passionate about it. Otherwise, I would say do a set design course and keep your life less complex.
      I hope my response will be of help to you.

17. #30 by Amash on August 18, 2016 - 3:58 pm

Im very good at drawing but not that much good at maths ! Can you tell me about the topics of maths which are studied in architecture?

• #31 by BenzuJK on December 26, 2016 - 5:57 pm

Hi Amash,

You have to study a number of complex civil engineering subjects which have intense mathematics involved. Subject such as Design of RCC Structures, Design of Steel Structures, Building Costing and Estimation etc.

You can check out another website of mine that covers those topics: http://www.civilprojectsonline.com

18. #32 by Mohammad Areeb on August 27, 2016 - 7:41 pm

Hey BenzuBenzujk,
    My friend i’m intrested to do btec and barch but i’m confuse to choose the right one. Many people’s and some friends told me to go for barch. I’m good in art and make things creative. I got many certificates in drawing and sketching. I said bcoz no one in my family who have good education so I want ur opinion to suggest me for my life to be successful.
    Thanks

• #33 by BenzuJK on December 26, 2016 - 6:00 pm

Dear Areeb,

Good to see your interest in Architecture. No doubt this is a tough field because there is simply so much competition out there. But if you believe you can be the best and master the skill as you must then you will certainly make it to the top. But if you are looking for a field with consistent income and easy to find a job field then I would suggest Btech would be a good choice. However if you are out to explore the world and try out new things just like me then Architecture is FOR YOU!

19. #34 by rohma on September 20, 2016 - 1:22 am

I want to be an architect and i am a creative person but i am not good in maths what should i do

• #35 by BenzuJK on December 26, 2016 - 5:54 pm

Hi Rohma,

You will need to focus on your mathematical skills too. Architecture is not just about good drawings skills, you will have complex civil engineering subjects such as design of RCC Structures and Design of Steel Structures. You could however opt for interior design which does require creativity and drawing skills. It has least mathematics in it.

Good luck!

20. #36 by Vinnerasan on October 30, 2016 - 4:06 pm

Hello sir,I am doing b. Arch 3rd year i am going to finish fifth semester. I have cleared all my papers but even soo i am not interested to continue the course. I hate drawings and design but i am very much interested in doing research and studies regarding design work .I just hate sitting and working with drawing for a long period. Can you suggest me weather to continue the course or not sir…

• #37 by BenzuJK on December 14, 2016 - 6:34 pm

I am surprised if you do not enjoy designing, why did you get into this course in the first place. My advice would be that you quit as soon as possible as this would only waste more of your time. Consider doing something you would really enjoy. Choosing the right profession is the most important thing I would say. If you don’t enjoy what you do, you will never be happy.

21. #38 by HYPNO on November 4, 2016 - 5:41 am

hello everybody
    well i m student from morocco ,i m willing to study a bsc in the uk next year, i have 2 options 1 is computer science 2 is architecture , i more inclined to architecture as i m good at drawing portraits and copying thing i see but i m not that good in drwing from imagination , second problem is that architecture is more about being able to deffend your ideas and convince your tutor and lot of group work i guess.concidering that i ll be an international student , are the language barrieres going to give me a hard time and double for me the amount of work ?
    here where comes my second option CS as i ll be dealing with the machine and math and physics is quite a global language and it is kind of field that is open to all the other fields …i m good at math and the problem solving kind of courses offered by CS and i m passionate about drawing and making places and buildings tell stories and generates feelings , prestigious artistic lifestyle offered by the architecture… finally a comparison of job oportunities between those 2 field would be in favor of CS. as i read in lot forums even the native architects are complaining about the job market poor condition which mean it is almost impossible to find job as international garduate there unlike CS … i m really in delima any advice would help..

• #39 by BenzuJK on December 14, 2016 - 6:30 pm

Hello,
      If you want to practice in the UK as an Architect, it is incredibly tough to find a job here. I do not know anything about CS therefore I would not be able to comment on that.

22. #40 by Ghimyee on November 10, 2016 - 12:53 pm

Can I opt for architecture if I am from art stream and what should I take for the foundation course.thanks

23. #41 by Anushka Agarwal on January 5, 2017 - 2:24 pm

I m a student of class 12 with PCM as my subjects ..I want to be an architect but its a very different thought of being and making it done …I love hand things ..I do creative things ..I cannot mug up ..sit in room for hours learn and study …I want a profession which is practical and which provides me satisfaction …I love innovating the place but I m in great delimma whether my choice for my course is correct or not ..whether do i have that potential or not …Also do this line has scope ..

• #42 by BenzuJK on January 10, 2017 - 1:06 am

Hi Anushka,

Do not be under the impression that architecture is about drawing and painting. You have several theoretical and complex mathematical subjects apart from design subjects. If you want to do something a bit more simpler but design based, you could opt for interior design.

24. #43 by Preethika Agarwal on April 29, 2017 - 1:32 pm

hi my name is Preethika and I have studied commerce in 10+2(including Maths). I am confused between architecture and film and television production. both of these interests me a lot. i want to know
    a.which are the subjects that i would be needing to study under architecture and
    b. can i go for film and television production after a ug degree in architecture?

1 11 12 13