7 Reasons Why You Should Study Architecture

Architecture is the art and science of designing buildings and other physical structures.

Architecture is about the making of places where people spend their lives. Architects are not just concerned with the exterior and interior design of a building, but the environment as a whole. Architecture is mostly about human beings living in a “better” way then before. Social sciences and psychology is as important as nanotechnology and sustainable materials…

Study Architecture

There is an important questions that needs to be asked. Why study Architecture in the first place? What are the merits of choosing Architecture as a career over other professions? And what could be the compromises and trade-offs an Architecture student might have to make to achieve success?

Here are the 7 reasons that could convince anyone to take up Architecture as a profession…

1. An Architect is a sort of an inventor. Like an inventor who goes about making and designing new gadgets, you go around designing new buildings. Architecture is a very satisfying profession You’ll get a tremendous sense of delight after your concepts on paper transform into real buildings. You’ll know the joy of creation in this field of Architecture…

2. A course in Architecture is a lot of fun. Unlike traditional colleges where you must slog yourself in study halls and libraries, reading and writing all the time, a course in Architecture gives you the liberty to use the right side of your brain, the creative part. You get a lot of opportunities to showcase your creativity and ingenuity while designing structures.

3. Architecture is a very high paying field. Once you get through the course and pass out with good grades, you’d be pursued by large firms looking for fresh talent and new ideas. And compared to most other fields, Architects make a lot more money. With a wage like that it is easy to acquire a full coverage from i4mt for your car.

4. It is easy to define Architecture but the word has far deeper meaning than it implies. While you study Architecture, you get to study various fields of human endeavor, including Art, History, Material Science, Physics, Engineering… anything and everything that can help improve the living environment of human beings. It is the most diverse subject you can find. And yet, this field attracts the most creative and romantic minds in the world.

5. The work of an Architect one of the most challenging and enjoyable imaginable. Every building is different. Every project is different. There is absolutely no monotony in life. The thrill and the challenge of work is exhilarating to say the least.

6. If you’re the kind of guy (or gal) who likes to work with his (or her) hands, then Architecture is the right profession for you.  In Architecture study course, you get to work with your hands. Its not just about reading and writing all the time, but you must have a hands-on approach on many assignments. Building scale models, making surveys, talking to people… its a very active field.

7. Architecture may sound like a 9 to 5 office job, but its not. Its a lot more than that. Even as a student of Architecture, you get to work on real-life problems of designing functional buildings. If you like to hit the road every now and then, you’re in for some luck. In this profession, you get to travel a lot. You have to put your feet on the ground, and visit construction sites.

Counter-Argument

Times Online in UK has published a very thought-provoking and interesting article about the perils of choosing Architecture. It is titled Who would want to be an architecture student? A very interesting read indeed.

In that article, Tom Dyckhoff has laid down in detail the problems faced by architecture students after they graduate. Architecture is a high profile field. We see the symbols of architecture everywhere around us. It is a “cool” career choice. But there isn’t enough demand for Architects. Due to the current housing recession, salaries have dropped, and they are considerably lower than those in the Medical or Dental fields.

It is true that architecture students work very hard to get that “edge” over others. They work day and night, often with little sleep, just so they can design the best project portfolio. But it doesn’t really pay off. Life of an architecture student is hard.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1. #1 by Priyanka Rego on August 17, 2015 - 8:21 pm

Hi

I am a 2nd year student of Civil Engineering from Bangalore, India. I am very keen to carve out a career in Interior Designing/Interior Architecture after I complete my Civil Engineering course preferably in the US. Kindly let me know the prerequisite courses that I need to complete in Architecture before I am considered for a Masters admission.

• #2 by BenzuJK on January 25, 2016 - 12:26 am

Hello Priyanka,

You cannot get admission in Masters in Architecture by having a civil engineering degree. You will have to do a Bachelor of Architecture in order to qualify for admission in a masters course.

2. #3 by sumanth on August 27, 2015 - 8:29 am

Hiii frnds I am doing my 1st year architecture iwant to know whether we people after completing architecture degree we will go on software side.please guide me

3. #4 by whendiebel woode on August 29, 2015 - 1:02 am

hi am 15 and I want to be an architect but teacher said it is not a good idea. because girls like cant do architecture. is that true???

• #5 by BenzuJK on January 25, 2016 - 12:24 am

No that is absolute nonsense. Don’t pay attention to such people. If you think you can do it and will enjoy doing it for the rest of your life, then go ahead.

4. #6 by Sanhita on August 29, 2015 - 3:05 pm

I am a student of class 12 and i want to take up architecture in college. I hate mugging up lessons i like a lot of practical work. Will architecture be interesting enough to study it for 5 years. And does the selection of college matter in case of this field ?

5. #7 by rameesha on September 5, 2015 - 7:32 am

I’m a recent drop out. I wasted 2 years in software engineering only to find that it wasn’t for me. Since school I wanted to be an architect but no one really supported this idea! I am passionate about it! But I don’t know what kind of skill set is required! I need to know if this is the field for me as I can no longer waste any time. Also I’m 22 will that affect me? Because I’ll be 27 when I complete architecture if I opt for it!

• #8 by BenzuJK on January 25, 2016 - 12:21 am

Rameesha, there has been an intense discussion on what you need to become a good Architect. I urge you to read all the comments in this article. This will give you an insight on what all you need to do to become an Architect.

6. #9 by orllar on September 17, 2015 - 7:53 pm

hello Admin,i’m orllar from Nigeria,I’ve already learn a little from my bro which is an architect so I can design a buildings like bungalows, duplexes and so on, and also good in AutoCAD 2d so I’m now looking to go further, though I’m good in art nd I love creativity bt to get admission into higher institution in Nigeria here is somehow tougher than I expect, i always dream to be a hero in this institution and I wish one day I’ll get there.

7. #10 by purvi on September 26, 2015 - 12:53 pm

Hyy I m 15 …n I m really passionate about architecture ..n i really good at computers n art I mean sketching so will this field is suitable for me n ya I m bit creative as well ..so can uh suggest me from where should do my 11th n 12th for the good foundation to be an architect !! Ty plzz reply soon ..:)

• #11 by BenzuJK on January 25, 2016 - 12:18 am

Hello Purvi,

You have to take science. Concentrate on Math and Physics…
      Good drawing will be a plus point.

8. #12 by Adnan Matheen on October 2, 2015 - 11:38 pm

Hello im 15 and id love to take up architecture im nit that good at drawing but im sure i can improve. The math parts not a problem at all. So if I want to take up this field is it necessary to know a lot about computers? Also can you tell me alll the subjects i need to focus on for this? Thx

• #13 by BenzuJK on January 25, 2016 - 12:05 am

Hello Adnan,

You sound like a good candidate for architecture. You must focus on physics, maths and some drawing would be good. You don’t have to know a lot about computers. Your basic computer skills will suffice. You will eventually learn how to use various 2d and 3d softwares. So do not worry about them right now.

This is all you need to know for now.

Do keep us updated about what you plan to choose. We would be interested to know.

All the best!

9. #14 by Phil on October 6, 2015 - 7:00 pm

Hi, your article really convince me to choose architecture after I graduate and I want to ask you some questions, is chemistry needed in architecture and should I learn it well?

10. #16 by adarsh on October 16, 2015 - 4:52 pm

i am from India and i am studying 12th i am really interested in architecture so plz help me which field i should take and yes with great salary plz help

• #17 by BenzuJK on January 25, 2016 - 12:01 am

Hello Adarsh,

Architecture is not a profession with a great salary. So I believe that is you entire criteria for choosing a career. So its a no – no..

11. #18 by jadine on November 3, 2015 - 12:32 pm

Hi.. i want to study architecture, i love to draw, they say im a creative person but for me im still not good enough.. dont judge ok? Im just curious..will they teach you how to draw/ or anything about art? Thanks ^_^

• #19 by BenzuJK on January 25, 2016 - 12:41 am

Being able to draw well is not the only skill you need to have. You will have to study complex mathematical subjects in architecture. You will need to show your mathematical skills then. Drawing well is a plus point not an absolute necessity. However, you have to have a creative mind…for creativity is the soul of architecture.

12. #20 by Nausheen on November 12, 2015 - 12:05 pm

I’m 15 and I’m really interested in taking up architecture but I’m a bit confused about exactly which subjects am I supposed to take up after my 10th grade, if I want to pursue architecture.

13. #21 by Nausheen on November 12, 2015 - 12:06 pm

Can I do it without taking up math?

• #22 by BenzuJK on January 24, 2016 - 11:58 pm

No you cannot. You will not be able to pass architecture if you dont like math. Architecture course has a number of civil engineering subjects and without maths you will not be able to clear them.

14. #23 by Brown on November 13, 2015 - 6:21 pm

I am a pure art student. can I apply for architecture in university ?

15. #24 by Adithi on November 14, 2015 - 3:17 pm

Hi!! I’m a student of architecture. I’m not liking the subjects anymore it’s interesting to study but when it comes to designing I just can’t think what I exactly want . yearby year things a getting harder how do I overcome all this n I have d feeling to quit but can’t quit as I chose it in my own intwrest. Please help me

• #25 by BenzuJK on January 24, 2016 - 11:49 pm

Hello Adithi,

If you don’t like it then the best thing to do would be to quit. You have to remember that it is not just about passing exams and getting through the course. Once you become an Architect, you will have to do for your entire life. If you dont love it then dont do it.

16. #26 by Zainy on November 17, 2015 - 11:11 am

I am 17 years old and I am having trouble about going for architecture. I think its and an interesting field and that its fascinating but im hearing that girls cannot perform in this field as good as men.and also this thing about the pay not being good enough.. I have an equal opportunity of going for medical but I really some professional and honest advice about choosing this profession..is this profession as promising as medical and and what are the future opportunities?

• #27 by BenzuJK on January 24, 2016 - 11:47 pm

Hello Zainy,

Women can certainly do as good as men. About salaries, they are not very good as compared to doctors. Whether it is a promising career or not really depends on good you are. Be it medical or architecture, you have to be hardworking and determined. There is no shortcut. Both these professions require a number of years of hardwork before you can start reaping benefits.

17. #28 by rhisdiah on November 17, 2015 - 8:04 pm

I am really interested in architecture I wanted to know what subjects do you need to take to be in that career field of architecture and the is interior design also in the lane of architecture

• #29 by BenzuJK on January 24, 2016 - 11:43 pm

If you take science, it will be very useful for you since there are civil engineering subjects in architecture. However, you can also join architecture by doing commerce but then it would be very difficult for you to cope with mathematical subjects in the course.

18. #30 by Harshith on November 30, 2015 - 5:45 pm

Hello
    I’m Harshith. I hv completed my pu last year.Im very interested in architecture . working as an architect makes me feel happy. Only The thing is can I get a job in abroad after completion of my masters. Even I know that it’s all depends on my hardwork. But I have the confidence that I’ll overcome all these, as I’m very good in art and creativeness as well. Pls guide me can I take architecture as my career…..??

• #31 by BenzuJK on January 24, 2016 - 11:40 pm

Hello Harshith,

Good to see your passion and confidence. But honestly, everything depends on you. You have to remember that this is something you will have to live with for your entire life.

19. #32 by Sarthak Bhatia on December 29, 2015 - 11:10 pm

Hi
    I am Sarthak
    How much approximately our salary is if we opt for b arch in construction.
    If I am not good in computers and a bit not good in arts, then is it possible for me to become an architect

• #33 by BenzuJK on January 24, 2016 - 11:24 pm

If you are creative and good in math and physics… then yes, you can opt for architecture. As for salaries, starting salary of an architect in India is 15000. So this is not excellent! But yes, you have to be extremely hard working and completely dedicated if you want to get into this field. Also, it is important for you to remember that architecture is not arts.

20. #34 by Divyank Saha on January 1, 2016 - 11:59 pm

I am in my 8th sem of architecture (UG) and have chosen office building as my thesis project. I am interested in designing energy conscious buildings and i want to intern adn work for a few years in India, in the desired field. Can you suggest me which company’s should i focus on going to, as i want to explore a lot more into energy conscious buildings. A firm which is energy design related and works to make a better future for the inhabitants of the building with new technologies and green buildings and all.

21. #35 by akshay on January 12, 2016 - 9:35 pm

hi
    i m in last yr, BSC(computer science), i m not that much good in codings and programmings,i want to do sumthing creative,
    can u plzzz tell me which field should i choose under arch…
    n wt r da subjects…

• #36 by BenzuJK on January 24, 2016 - 11:08 pm

Hello Akshay,

Architecture is a very creative field and a very tough one! It demands a lot of dedication and hard work and the most important point that most students fail to understand when they get into architecture is that it is not only about drawing and painting. It is lot more than that.

Also, you are in your final year of computer science. Architecture is a five year long course. You need to have a creative drawing, being able to draw very well is a plus point but not a compulsion and you should be good in maths.

These are the all the qualities you need. If you believe you have them, then go for it.

All the best!

22. #37 by Mahek_manek on January 21, 2016 - 9:46 am

Hi.! I’m Mahek..I am in grd.10 right now and I am trying to choose a certain field of career for me.. I want to do architecture but in India..I am good at drawing but I think I’m not that creative.. How do I continue this decision.? Like what should I do to get into this field.?

• #38 by BenzuJK on January 24, 2016 - 11:02 pm

Hello Mahek,

First of all, if could you tell me what inspires you to pursue architecture? Creativity is the soul of architecture! But if you are hard working, good at drawings and math, then you can go ahead and choose architecture. It is important to remember that architecture is not just about drawing and painting. There is a lot more to it than just that. So back to the question I asked earlier. Why do you want to do architecture?

23. #39 by jerusteena on February 11, 2016 - 12:20 pm

Hi I’m jerusteena. I’m about to finish year 12 and I want to study architecture in university.I studied 12th mathematics and fine art so I will do this course?I’m a good artist.so please tell to use this course for my future.

24. #40 by Parnika on February 27, 2016 - 3:33 pm

Hello I just wanted to ask what further in architecture I can do after 5 years of course. And wanna do it in abroad

25. #41 by vrushabh on February 27, 2016 - 4:23 pm

hi, I am vrushabh sir I am in class 9 and I want to become an architecture please guide me sir how to choose my carrer my drawing is good but I get maths sub hard.

26. #42 by akash on February 27, 2016 - 6:38 pm

hi, I am akash sir I am a student in class 10 I want some information from you I like drawing subject very much which book I really use for an architeuture practise and after 10 what should I do what should I choose and which class I join in 11&12 for giving nata exam please guide me and please replay me.

27. #43 by Keerthan on March 14, 2016 - 4:34 pm

Hi friends
    I am going to complete my 12 this year
    I want to take up architecture as my profession so what are the main fields to persue like what are the main things we learn in architecture is it easy or tough

28. #44 by BupeT on March 16, 2016 - 7:45 pm

Hello,
    I’m a high school graduate from Zambia. I would love to know what it takes be an architect and the best countries I can study Architecture from. I’ve never taken art or any A level classes but will a foundation course class help me?
    Lastly can I study architecture if I’m not very creative?

29. #45 by Devanshi on March 16, 2016 - 8:51 pm

Hello !!!
    I’m about to finish class 12 on march 26 as my last exam. I want to go for architect designing as my career. But everyone around me says it’s takes a lot of hard work in this field. I’m really good at creativity and drawing and math (trigo). But people around says it’s takes all your life to bevome an archietect. They say archietect doesn’t have a good scope nowadays and you may or may not get a good job with a good salary. I’m a bit confused if I should go for architecture or not ??? Also i want to know where there is a good scope of architecture and where can i get a good job with a good salary. Also I’m interested in travelling too. Please guide me.

30. #46 by Priyanka on March 31, 2016 - 4:08 pm

Sir I am studing in class 10 I want to become an architecture but my maths is very low sir please tell me I will become an architecture or not or I will get difficult further.