7 Reasons Why You Should Study Architecture

Architecture is the art and science of designing buildings and other physical structures.

Architecture is about the making of places where people spend their lives. Architects are not just concerned with the exterior and interior design of a building, but the environment as a whole. Architecture is mostly about human beings living in a “better” way then before. Social sciences and psychology is as important as nanotechnology and sustainable materials…

Study Architecture

There is an important questions that needs to be asked. Why study Architecture in the first place? What are the merits of choosing Architecture as a career over other professions? And what could be the compromises and trade-offs an Architecture student might have to make to achieve success?

Here are the 7 reasons that could convince anyone to take up Architecture as a profession…

1. An Architect is a sort of an inventor. Like an inventor who goes about making and designing new gadgets, you go around designing new buildings. Architecture is a very satisfying profession You’ll get a tremendous sense of delight after your concepts on paper transform into real buildings. You’ll know the joy of creation in this field of Architecture…

2. A course in Architecture is a lot of fun. Unlike traditional colleges where you must slog yourself in study halls and libraries, reading and writing all the time, a course in Architecture gives you the liberty to use the right side of your brain, the creative part. You get a lot of opportunities to showcase your creativity and ingenuity while designing structures.

3. Architecture is a very high paying field. Once you get through the course and pass out with good grades, you’d be pursued by large firms looking for fresh talent and new ideas. And compared to most other fields, Architects make a lot more money. With a wage like that it is easy to acquire a full coverage from i4mt for your car.

4. It is easy to define Architecture but the word has far deeper meaning than it implies. While you study Architecture, you get to study various fields of human endeavor, including Art, History, Material Science, Physics, Engineering… anything and everything that can help improve the living environment of human beings. It is the most diverse subject you can find. And yet, this field attracts the most creative and romantic minds in the world.

5. The work of an Architect one of the most challenging and enjoyable imaginable. Every building is different. Every project is different. There is absolutely no monotony in life. The thrill and the challenge of work is exhilarating to say the least.

6. If you’re the kind of guy (or gal) who likes to work with his (or her) hands, then Architecture is the right profession for you.  In Architecture study course, you get to work with your hands. Its not just about reading and writing all the time, but you must have a hands-on approach on many assignments. Building scale models, making surveys, talking to people… its a very active field.

7. Architecture may sound like a 9 to 5 office job, but its not. Its a lot more than that. Even as a student of Architecture, you get to work on real-life problems of designing functional buildings. If you like to hit the road every now and then, you’re in for some luck. In this profession, you get to travel a lot. You have to put your feet on the ground, and visit construction sites.

Counter-Argument

Times Online in UK has published a very thought-provoking and interesting article about the perils of choosing Architecture. It is titled Who would want to be an architecture student? A very interesting read indeed.

In that article, Tom Dyckhoff has laid down in detail the problems faced by architecture students after they graduate. Architecture is a high profile field. We see the symbols of architecture everywhere around us. It is a “cool” career choice. But there isn’t enough demand for Architects. Due to the current housing recession, salaries have dropped, and they are considerably lower than those in the Medical or Dental fields.

It is true that architecture students work very hard to get that “edge” over others. They work day and night, often with little sleep, just so they can design the best project portfolio. But it doesn’t really pay off. Life of an architecture student is hard.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1. #1 by mesh on May 2, 2015 - 11:37 am

Hy.
    I am student who wnt to pursue a course in architecture bt I have to start at diploma level. Am from kenya.. can I be able to study for a higher level after my diploma… please help.

• #2 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 6:47 pm

Hello Mesh,

Yes you can. I dont think that would be a problem at all.

2. #3 by Lyle on May 6, 2015 - 11:24 am

Hi I’m Lyle and I’m only 15. I really want be an architect. I can draw but not really good and I am also not good in Math. What should I do? Should I take Architecture in college or not?

• #4 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 6:46 pm

If you are not good in drawing and Maths, you must reconsider your options. There are many other professions that you might enjoy.

3. #5 by aayushi on May 6, 2015 - 10:35 pm

Hii.. m aayushi
    I am in class 11th n I want to become an architect in future so i just want to conform that is it necessary to opt physics ,chemistry n maths or it can just do with commerce n maths. .

4. #7 by Maya on May 13, 2015 - 6:59 pm

Hey
    I’m currently in class 12 and am a Science Student. I’ve been considering options like Architecture and Computer Engineering. Both are of equal interest to . I aspire to do my masters in Urban Design UK/US and open up a firm of my own in India and work here. What should I know beforehand?

• #8 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 6:43 pm

Both your options look good. There are different things to do for different fields.
      For example you are considering becoming a Computer Engineer, you should go for small courses where you will get to learn C, C++ and JAVA.

If you want to go for Architecture, you should consider doing design courses.

5. #9 by bhavya on May 21, 2015 - 6:47 pm

Currently pursuing b.tech in cs…can i do architecture when i have earned enough for all needs….may be in my 40s ….?
    Pls do respond

• #10 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 6:38 pm

Why would you want to do that? To become a good Architects, it takes years and years of hard work. This is not something you can do in your 40s. It is a very tough field and not many survive.

So choose your career wisely. Go for a profession that really interests you.

6. #11 by Dhruvi Khasia on May 23, 2015 - 12:39 pm

Hello,
    Architecture has confused me a lot. Some say there is no money for freshers, while others say it is a very good line. I am interested in making more money, so is architecture or MBA a good field? Also, how many years will it take to be an archt.? Will arct. be enjoyable and good in the long run for me? I am quite good and perfect and drawing, so will I manage to be arct?

• #12 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 6:36 pm

At the moment, the markets are very tight. There is no big money in this field. It is a good line if you have BIG contacts. It will take you 5 years of extreme hardwork to become an Architect.

Choose your career wisely.

7. #13 by mritunjay on May 24, 2015 - 2:47 am

hi
    im from india. And i got rank 65 (general category) in the B.Arch exam(all india). I am confused what to do .. i just wanna ask that opting for architecturing college will be a good throttle to my career or should i go with something else.

• #14 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 6:34 pm

This is something you need to decide for yourself. Architecture is a profession in which you can only be successful if you are able to pour your heart and soul into it.

8. #15 by Waisong Terang on May 25, 2015 - 4:07 pm

Hello!!
    sir/madam.
    Iam from Assam, i love drawing and making vehicles and bike with muds when i was in my childhood. I used to get 1st position in drawing competition without taking drawing classes in my school. But my parents want to see me to become Doctors, last year i took Medical coaching and this year 2015 i gave my AIPMT entrance exam, as i saw my answer key its ruins everything. On the other hand i also gave my entrance exam in JEE mains paper 2 for b architecture 2015, according to my answer key i got 145 out 390 and my board % is 59.00 and iam belong to ST category . As i predicted my college jee main rank in Aakash institute and from Resonance it shows that’s i will get admission in SPA new Delhi, NIT trichyy, SPA Bhopal.. Sir/ madam
    my question is that my parents wont allowed me to take admission in this field. As this is my ambition. I don’t want to become doctor like others, coz iam not interested in that. If i got also i will ruin my life and i will frustrated on doing this. Tell me Sir/Madam ,,How to confess my parents , coz this is my last opportunity to seek admission in those institutions.. Please please..

9. #16 by Waisong Terang on May 25, 2015 - 8:19 pm

Last hours ago, today 25th may 2015. I updated my problem about how to confess my ambition to be b architecture in front of my parents, rather solving my problem you Benzulk(author) delete my comment.. If this is your loyalty, i don’t need any help from you.. Iam asking help not for entertaining myself here..

• #17 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 6:31 pm

Hello Waisong,

We are here to help you if you have any difficulties understanding the profession and not to help you confess your ambition for becoming an Architect to your parents. My advise to you would be go for Architecture only if you are extremely passionate about it. It is no fun field. There is immense amount of hard work in it and remember this profession will not make you rich overnight. It takes years to achieve something significant and satisfying.

10. #18 by Sameer Saif on May 27, 2015 - 11:03 am

respected sir.
    recently m come in 12th class PCBM
    M confuse for my profession I want to become a architecture
    but my family sprcially my father wants a doctor but my first choice is Archhtecture
    Sir How can I convence my father
    Its my dreams to m wants to becomes a Architecture…
    I want to do some special in my life for my family for our country
    m belongs to a middle class family..
    sir plz sugget me
    & also give me resion for choise my profession Architecture..

• #19 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 6:26 pm

Hello Sameer,

Go for Architecture only if you are passionate about it. This profession will not make you rich. There is a lot of struggle at the beginning for a couple of years.
      Do not expect a high paying job after the end of a long 5 year course. You are not paid more than 15000 a month no matter how big the firm is.

So choose your career wisely.

11. #20 by nomvula on May 28, 2015 - 11:48 pm

am a 18 in love with architecture.am thinking of studying it in university but am worried that am not good with math.should i go ahead with architect or go for plan B. PLEASE HELP…

• #21 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 6:23 pm

Hello Nomvula,
      It is difficult to tell if architecture is a good profession for you if you are not good in Mathematics. There are a number of Civil Engineering subjects such as Structural mechanics, Design of RCC Structures, Design of Steel Structures, Surveying and Levelling and many more. So it is not just design but it comes with all of these subjects. So go for it only if you think you can deal with these subjects.

12. #22 by Grace on May 31, 2015 - 4:30 pm

Hello Grace, i’ami’velways been discouraged from everything I had intrest in or wanted to do in life. I really like drawing a lot even tho it’s not perfect at times I don’t give up because I do it for fun. I studied Bsc insurance but I want to study architecture instead but I think I don’t have confidence in myself to do it. I really need your advice and can you contact me with schools who teach architecture. Thanks

13. #23 by mohit on June 4, 2015 - 9:42 pm

sir, I want to do architechure course so after completing my b.arch degree then what work can i do.

14. #24 by dishant khithani on June 13, 2015 - 8:57 am

hi , this is dishant, 16 yrs old, finished with my ssc exams , i want to b an architect , but not interested in science faculty as i am not good in math and physics so i wanna join arts stream. will u pls guide me that after HSC in arts can i go for architect course?

• #25 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 6:01 pm

If you want be a good Architect, you have to be good in Mathematics and physics. There are civil engineering subjects in Architecture course which involve a lot of complex calculations. So I believe if you are not good in Maths and Physics you should reconsider your options. Interior designing is one field where you might be interested.

15. #26 by Meg on June 14, 2015 - 1:05 pm

I want to study bs archi, but im already 37yo would that be OK? im already married with kids, happy, got my own home too. But i want to pursue a good educational background and also for my children bcoz they are too good at art and creative. Here in our country lots of emerging structural buildings in the making nowadays.. Thank you!

16. #27 by Shamika on June 16, 2015 - 7:08 pm

Heyy, actually I’ll be giving my 12th grade and I wish to do architecture like even m.arch so Like will be a better option to do in UK or US and work there for some years to earn money and come back to India like, how much will be difference in the starting salary packages in India and UK OR US?
    Also what’s the starting salary in a big firm? Thankyou

• #28 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 5:58 pm

Hello Shamika,

You are thinking 7 years ahead. I think you should be focussing on IF you want to do Architecture in the first place.

About getting a job in UK or US, it is not a cup of tea not everyone gets it. 1 out of 100 people get an opportunity to work in the UK or US as Architects.

So my advise to you would be that please do some research on how tough the markets are abroad and be realistic in what you plan for yourself in order to avoid disappointment.

17. #29 by krushna on June 19, 2015 - 9:51 am

i am very thankful to this site .hy ! i am krushna .i am a eleventh student of sixteen years from india.i want to be an good architect.i am well at arts and science.but i have no idea abuot the study and courses of architecture.please help me. thanks a lot.

18. #30 by Thanooj on June 20, 2015 - 10:24 am

Im gonna b.arch im afraid about my life aft studies could u please guide me wid Wt can i do aft my studies because most of them say freshers are paid with 10- 15k…

• #31 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 5:54 pm

Hello Thanooj,

That is very true. You should only opt for it if you are very passionate about the profession and willing to do a lot of extra hard work that not many are capable of doing. At the moment i must say that the state of Architects in India is really bad and I hope it gets better with time. But there is no guarantee that you will get a high paying job. After you have worked for 3 years minimum you can expect a salary of 25000 rupees a month. This is all you get. So keep that in mind and choose your career wisely.

19. #32 by aniket gajbir on June 24, 2015 - 12:13 am

I like architecture but the problem is that i have heard that the architect students when get graduated they face the lots of problems for the job.
    They doesn’t get the job easily. We all know that earning is not every thing but I belong to a middle class family. So what should I do plz suggest me.

• #33 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 5:49 pm

Hello Aniket,
      Yes what you have heard is very true. After graduation, the firms are not willing to pay more than 15000 to 20000 max for exceptional students. It is an interesting field and if you are good you will survive, if not then you will have to live a mediocre life. You should only opt for Architecture if you are extremely passionate about because setting up a practice or getting a high paid job is very tough and you will need a lot of determination to make it worthwhile.
      I hope this helps.

20. #34 by aishwarya on June 27, 2015 - 9:47 am

hello BenzuJK,
    I am good at art and i want to do architecture course but i want to know whether it is worth studying that means if i’ll take architecture course and complete it and also pay fees which is really costly for a middle class girl like me i have to take a loan; so, would i be able to get rid of the loan and earn money by this profession? and my other question to you is that could you please guide me for more artistic courses which would be less money worthy?…i hope you’ll give me an answer and i’ll be waiting for your reply;

• #35 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 5:46 pm

Hello Aishwarya,

About other artistic fields, you could opt for interior designing which is less cost intensive. If you are interested in computers, BCA would be a good field and the coursework is easy plus there are many jobs for it as well. At the moment, I cant think of any other fields that might be suitable. I hope this helps.

21. #36 by umang on June 27, 2015 - 11:02 am

I m abt 18 years old and I wanna be acchitrct but I m not good in handy work like drawing and sketching …is it problem for me????

• #37 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 5:42 pm

Dear Umang,

Let me first ask you why exactly do you want to become an Architect?
      I will wait for your answer after which I will answer your question.

Cheers:)

22. #38 by Harpreet Kaur on July 2, 2015 - 2:34 pm

Hi I am Harpreet I want to be a good architect , I am good in maths ,drawing, in making interesting things but i am not able to study from avery good university please tell me that after these all things I am able to get good job

• #39 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 5:40 pm

Hello Harpreet,

Architecture could be a good profession for you. At the moment, the state of Architects in India is pathetic. The job market is very tight. After graduation, the firms are not willing to pay more than 15000 to 20000 max for exceptional students. It is an interesting field and if you are good you will survive, if not then you will have to live a mediocre life. You should only opt for Architecture if you are extremely passionate about because setting up a practice or getting a high paid job is very tough and you will need a lot of determination to make it worthwhile. So I wish you all the best!
      Cheers:)

23. #40 by Kritie on July 3, 2015 - 1:06 pm

Hello, I’m a student from India and I’m quite confused about whether I shall choose to study B.arch or not. Well, I wanted to do MBBS but I could not qualify the state level entrance examination (the national level is yet to be held but too late) and I’ve already taken admission for BSc in a nearby college (as a backup plan and my last option). I have qualified the national level architecture entrance examination with good rank but I’m confused….shall i grab the opportunity? My mathematics is okay, and my art and creativity has always been praised. I’m even concerned about the money and job prospects in the field of architecture….and that’s what is making me hesitate to go for B.arch. Could you please suggest me with what I shall do? Shall I go for B.arch?

• #41 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 5:35 pm

Hello Kritie,

Getting a heavily paid job in Architecture in India or anywhere in the world is very tough. I do not want to discourage you. After becoming an Architect, we do have to spend a couple of years struggling and trying to find our feet. There is intense competition in the field. You can only survive if you are the best and if you are good at making contacts that will bring you work. So my advise would be, go for Architecture ONLY and ONLY if you really really love Architecture… If you want to choose this profession solely for making money, the market right now is very tough but of course you never know. Things keep changing and the markets might change too but bare in mind there is intense competition outside. So no matter what you have to be the best in order to survive.

24. #42 by Jyo on July 3, 2015 - 11:46 pm

I crack entrance exam of CIT(centrally funded engineering institute) and took admission in CSE , but finally i crack JEE main b.Arch…
    CRL rank-37313
    ST rank- 886
    I am confused which line i should go. Will i get in SPA, New Delhi with this rank.. Please help me

• #43 by BenzuJK on July 5, 2015 - 5:29 pm

Hello,

I am unable to tell you if you can get admission into SPA, New Delhi. What is important here is if Architecture interests you. You should never decide which profession you would want to choose purely on the basis of marks. Because once you are into it, you will be doing this for the rest of your life. Hence, you should only select a profession that you thoroughly enjoy.

25. #44 by Yaqoota on July 21, 2015 - 10:04 pm

What are the subjects required for architecturing….is chemistry important…and computer too??

26. #46 by roby on July 27, 2015 - 10:48 pm

heyy,
    i finished my 12 and am looking forward to do architctr..but am not pretty sure about beacuse im weak in math………but i feel that im pretty gud in creativity….and i draw a bit toooo….
    plzz guide me …..

27. #47 by Saachi on August 2, 2015 - 8:37 pm

I am 16 preparing for engineering. But I am interested in arch. I am good at drawing but not very creative. My parents are reluctant as this field does not pay well. Also I have heard that the college years are very busy abd hectic. What should I do?

• #48 by BenzuJK on January 25, 2016 - 12:34 am

The pay is not good and the course is very hectic.
      So you need to decide for yourself. Noone can help you with these decisions. They are yours to take.
      You need to remmember that this is something you will have to live with the rest of your life.

28. #49 by Dima on August 9, 2015 - 3:35 pm

Hey BenzuJk

I’m starting my first year of college this fall and I know what I’m getting myself into in the field of architecture ( dedication, commitment, late night hours, stress, etc.).I just don’t know if I’ll be up for that big responsibility it’s just that I’m scared I might mess up. I love getting my hands dirty but I Dont know if I’m creative and this field requires math and physics but just seeing the word physics plucks a nerve out of my system. so can you please motivate me to work hard for architecture?

• #50 by BenzuJK on January 25, 2016 - 12:31 am

Hello Dima,

All you need is a little more passion and confidence that you already have. I am so happy that I did not have to go through all of my usual lecture to the students about dedication and hardwork. Don’t worry too much about physics. I am sure you will make it. You simply need that little push… 🙂

29. #51 by Siddhant Sasane on August 13, 2015 - 1:56 pm

Hi iam siddhant, I have keen interest in architecture .. Iam good in art but i lack behind in maths so iam really confused whether to opt it or not … can u please help me out …

30. #52 by Reinha Daduya on August 13, 2015 - 4:37 pm

Is there a math subject of architecture?

• #53 by BenzuJK on January 25, 2016 - 12:27 am

Yes there are complex mathematical subjects in Architecture.